Chapter 1: The Invitation

When Atos saw the sun is rising up from their window while he was preparing for breakfast, he scraped the egg in a meticulous way with his spatula while holding the pan on the other hand. He's so careful that he didn't want to break another set of their plates. He's still wearing his worn out apron with a dark brown tunic underneath it as he is about to hunt afterwards. With his bulking arms and calloused hands, he gently placed the egg on the plate, and carried the plate on the table. His eyes suddenly fixed on his stairs, a meter and half wide enough for him with crocked edges and dented steps. In his instinct, he quickly dashed towards it as if he was being chased. Rampaging stomps, enough for a man to fall down which was heard all over the house. He has gone straight to their hall way straight to a door, outside is cursive embossed name of his son, Zedd, and kicked the door with its pieces flying all over the place.

"Wake up!"

A quake felt inside the house but it quickly dissipated, books and photos from Zedd's room fell one after the other, his table and chair was moved to the opposite corner, the shield displayed in the headrest of the bed falling down exactly on Zedd's face.

"Owww!" Zedd quickly removed the shield in his face and felt his nose is bruised badly. He continued to caress it; thinking that the pain will go away.

He helped himself get up by pushing down both on his arms. He still can't see enough as he tries to squint and rubbed his eyes just to see who is standing in front of him.

"You will still have to go to the town square! Didn't you remember?"

Zedd felt the jolt of being awakened from the words of his father. Feeling the adrenaline he was in, trouble is now staring at his face.

"Wah! I almost forgot!"

Zedd jumped from his bed like a grasshopper, started rushing towards their shower near their stairs. He sat on the handrail pushed himself forward, but his feet actually caught one of the steps and tripped himself, falling with his face first, hitting his nose again on the nosing of the stairs. Atos followed his son who peeked at him.

"You're already eighteen! You shouldn't do these things!"

Zedd moaned in pain and felt like his nose is about to come off. He tried to gather strength on his knees, holding a nearby wall, pulled himself altogether. He saw the sun shining brightly with its rays piercing into their windows, slowly coming out from the horizon of mountains. His eyes became wide and his heart beating faster.

"Oh no!"

He quickly dashed to their bathroom and promptly closed. Few seconds later, a series of splash of water was heard outside of the bathroom's door, followed by Zedd's humming voice with an uncoordinated melody, no sound you can hear.

Atos saw Zedd entered the bathroom, he can't help and pondered about Zedd. Being a weilder is something degrading for a boy of his age; He kept rubbing his hands to warm his cold hands, remembered that he must go to the dangerous locations, fight the creatures he has to fight in order to succeed in his mission. He will enter the world of wielders.He looked at his house and saw the things he used in order to help his son graduate as a wielder, broken sword with dented shield, damaged training dummy from their training, and mountain of books that contributed to the knowledge of being a wielder. Zedd suddenly stormed out of the bathroom as he now dashed his way back to his room. Atos was surprised on how quick Zedd bathed, he put on little sigh as he knows Zedd needed to catch up.

Atos now stepped outside of their house as he knows that he will be a bothersome to his son if he will be inside. He looked at their vegetable farm, just in front of their house, he remembered that he used to sell these vegetables in the town square so that Zedd can have a decent wielder's education. His eyes got teary and tried to rub them and wiped them away. He also saw some of his neighbor's children; they're also getting ready to go in the town square.