Chapter 32

Chapter 32

Rex looked like a nervous love struck teenager; his cheeks a shade of red I've never seen on him as he held the door open so that Kate could climb into their waiting taxi. I held back laughter when Rex turned to look at us one more time, his eyes filled with stress.

"Have fun!" I yelled from my front step, waving like a mad woman.

We didn't move when the taxi drove away. I leaned back into Mikah's embrace and thought about how my life was rapidly changing before my eyes. I was in love with the soon to be alpha of the Hidden Sprit Pack. My two best friends were off on their first date, and my brother was about to meet my in laws for the first time. That was my only down fall about everything that had changed, Jax. Our relationship had changed, our secrets consuming us so that we weren't as open and close as we once were.

"Where is Jax?" I asked Mikah suddenly, pulling away to face him.

"He's with Kitana. I don't know what my sister has over the kid but she seems to be the only one he listens to," Mikah shrugged as he grabbed a hold of my hand and started walking towards his truck.

I didn't reply to Mikah as he helped me into his truck. Jax never let people into his life so the fact that he had Kitana made me feel a little better. If there was anyone I could trust; it was her.  I just hoped that tonight went well because for some strange reason alarm bells were going off in my head. Call it paranoia, call it fear, but all I knew was that Jax was about to meet Mikah's father. Jax was about to meet an Alpha. If things didn't go well between them then everything could go downhill. The alpha called the shots around here and Jax would not give a shit.

"You okay Stormy?" Mikah asked once he was seated in the driver's seat. "Look, if you're worried about Jax you need to stop. He's a big boy, I'm sure he can look after himself."

"It's just that...," I started to say before Mikah leaned forward, grabbing the sides of my face with both of his hands and shook his head.

"Just stop Storm. You stress out so much it scares me. I can see when you disappear into your own self because you're so full of worry. Sometimes you don't even hear people talking to you," Mikah told me, his thumb gentling stroking the side of my face as my eyes filled with tears.

"I'm not saying that Jax will miraculously accept me or that everyone will live happily ever after, but you need to remember that I'm here for you Stormy. It might not hurt to let me in once in a while."

"I'm fine Mikah; really. Just a little nervous I guess. My brothers not exactly the sociable type and he is about to meet your parents. It's a little scary that's all." I smiled a fake smile, trying to hide my discomfort.

"I'm sure they'll all play along just fine Storm," Mikah grunted a sly laugh his eyes rolling slightly.

"My mother will probably love him," Mikah smirked and this time I had to laugh.

 Tonight was definitely going to be interesting.

Talk flowed easily during the short drive to the Alpha's house but seemed to stop abruptly once we hit the long dirt road. Mikah's shoulders tensed and his breathing became shallow as he clutched the steering wheel while he scanned the surrounding forest as if seeing something I couldn't.

"Is something wrong?" I asked Mikah who had still not spoken, his eyes turning to steel letting me know something most definitely was.

"Just a few extra guests, my father is obviously paranoid," Mikah replied through gritted teeth as he nodded towards the forest with his head.

It took me a few seconds, but eventually I saw what Mikah was talking about. We were being watched from all sides by shifters in their wolf forms. Although most of them were hidden in the trees, I could still spot one or two who were either no good at hiding or just didn't care to be seen.