Chapter Seventeen - Christingle? More Like Chris-single.

Start from the beginning

I walked into the restaurant, which was fairly quiet at this time of the night.

"How much food can I get for," I looked down at the change in my palm, counting the coins and notes in my hand. "$15.93?" The cashier looked at me like I was a crazed woman with makeup stained across her face and very overly dressed for the environment she was in. The cashier and I made a long list of the items I could buy and she even kindly added and paid for a sundae since I didn't have enough money on me.

"What did he do, sweetheart?" The cashier asked me as I took a seat on a bar stool next to the counter while I waited for my order to be prepared.

"Stood me up on our first, sort of, second date," I grumbled, taking a sip of my chocolate milkshake which had just been made.

"That's just plain rude, especially for a pretty girl like you," she replied, giving me a weak smile.

"No texts, no calls, nothing," I cried, my voice wavering a little at the end.

"Well, I hope you enjoy your order and tell that guy what he's missing," the lady smiled, handing me the large brown bag and a drinks carrier.

"I will, thank you."

"Hope you feel better soon," she concluded, opening the door for me. I trundled over to my car, setting all of the food on the passenger seat before climbing into the driver's seat before driving to the hiking park. I took my food with me on my walk, flying over to the highest peninsular which was unreachable by foot. I swung my legs over the edge of the cliff, tucking into my burger and fries as I looked out at the city.

"Are you sure you don't need a pep talk?"

"I'm sure. I think I just want to be alone with my food for a while, thanks."

"You know where to find me if you need me."

"Thanks, Eve."

The city looked completely different at night. The sky was overcast, surrounding the entire city making the light pollution bounce from the clouds, illuminating them to a burnt orange. I knew that I had trouble distinguishing my feelings from Emily and Miss Cosmic. I believed that Barry liked both of us, but now I was beginning to doubt that theory entirely.

What was I going to do with you, Barry Allen?

~

"Woah, woah, woah, woah, what's got a bee in your bonnet, Em?" Brendan asked.

"Stupid," punch, "Barry," punch, "Allen," punch, "stood me," punch, "up," I grunted, bringing the two hundred pound sack of sand crashing to the ground with a final punch of anger.

"Remind me to get heavier punching bags when I'm ordering new stock next," Brendan gulped, nodding his head.

"Sorry, I can't really help it, it just comes out."

"I get it, don't worry. It's not like I can't fix 'em!" Brendan laughed, picking up the punching bag from the floor. "You've been training for a week straight into this lead up to Christmas. Something you don't like about the holiday?"

"Other than the fact that my sister is dead, my mother is a shell of a woman, and my father doesn't even bother to invite me over for Christmas, it's actually one of my favourite times of the year," I sarcastically smiled. It used to be my favourite time of the year where I would decorate the tree single-handedly, choosing a different colour scheme every year in order to keep it current.

"I'd invite you to come and join my wife, the kids and I for dinner, but she might get the wrong impression about you, ha!"

"No, it's fine. I'd totally feel like I was intruding on your family time, anyway."