Chapter 30

Patrick P.O.V.

My eyes slowly opened themselves. I was confused for a moment.

This was the first morning in a long time that I had woken up peacefully. No nightmare, no cold sweats. And I actually had a full night of sleep. This felt so good.

Elisa turned over in my arms. Her eyes opened and stared into mine. She smiled and I kissed her lips, taking in every touch I could. I needed to make up for lost time.

She pulled away from me and patted down my hair. "I've missed your morning hair," she said.

I stroked her cheek. "I've missed everything about you," I whispered, my good hand ghosting to her lips.

We got out of bed and walked to Declan's room across the hall. He was stirring in his crib and grabbing around his blanket. Elisa picked him up and started humming. I hugged her and Declan around her waist and started singing a lullaby. He snuggled into Elisa's hair and yawned.

Elisa and I walked to the kitchen and she put Declan in his high chair. I pulled some baby food out of the fridge and gave it to her to give to Declan. She found a spoon in the drawer and started feeding him.

"I'll make some eggs for us, that okay?" I asked, grabbing a pan from the cabinet.

"That sounds awesome. You make the best eggs," she said as she played "airplane" with Declan and his food. He giggled and opened his mouth.

I pulled some eggs from the fridge and began cracking the eggs. It was lucky I knew how to crack eggs with one hand.

"Are you feeling better this morning?" I asked as I whisked the eggs in the bowl.

"Oh yeah, I feel fine. I think it was just a thing, you know? Just don't go running into anymore fires. Obviously my heart can't handle it," her voice came to me from behind.

I chuckled sadly. "I'll try my darnedest, babe," I said. I poured the egg/milk mixture into the scalding pan. It spread throughout the pan and I grabbed a spatula to cook with.

"What about you? Are you feeling any better?" she asked, some hesitation evident in her voice.

I nodded even though I was turned the other way. I realized I should probably say something. "Yeah, I actually got a full night of sleep last night. First time in a while."

I realized the eggs were done and turned the stove off. I took the pan off the stove and poured the scrambled eggs onto a plate. I popped some toast in the toaster before washing the pan and setting it in the sink.

Elisa was walking from Declan's seat to the sink to wash the small glass of baby food out. I walked in front of her as her foot got caught on her leg. She topped over, me with her. My arm came crashing down, right on top of stove that was still burning hot from the eggs. We both fell to the floor and broken glass crashed on the floor.

"Oh, baby, I'm so sorry," she said as she tried to stand up. "Your arm!"

I looked at my arm. It was the one that had gotten burnt in the fire. I saw pink marks and blisters beginning to form on the skin, but I didn't feel anything. A piece of glass had even embedded itself in my elbow, but I only saw the blood.

Elisa stood up, but I grabbed her leg with my good hand. "Babe, watch out for the glass. I'll clean it up."

I let go and leaned on that elbow. Elisa leaned down again and helped me up. "We should go to the hospital-"