Chapter 12

Pete P.O.V.

No.

Nonononono.

No.

Patrick can not be dead.

No.

I ran forward, pushing the doctors out of the way. I grabbed Patrick's limp body and squeezed him against my chest. And I cried.

One nurse was looking at me. She looked like she had a tattoo peeking out of her sleeve. She looked at me with sad eyes, then sprang into action.

"Come on, doctors! We can save him," she said.

Brendon pulled me away from my best friend's dead body. But I resisted. "Pete! If you don't let the doctors near him, he's going to die!" Brendon shouted.

I finally obeyed. I let Brendon lead me to the corner of the room. I watched the doctors frantically try to get Patrick's heart started again.

Then, while the nurse was pounding on his chest, the heart monitor started beeping again. Patrick shot up, looking around with wide eyes, then collapsed back into the bed.

But the heart monitor kept beeping.

Patrick was alive.

I was about to sigh in relief, but then everything went black.

*****

Brendon P.O.V.

Patrick's heart was beating again. He was alive. I don't think I've ever been more relieved.

I was going to turn and hug Pete, but he slumped against the floor.

*****

Today was a stressful day.

Apparently, Pete passed out from shock. The doctors let him lay down in a spare room. They said he was fine, he just needed rest and to lie low.

Patrick was having a severe panic attack, and that made his heart beat too fast, causing a heart attack. His heart stopped beating and they couldn't get it back started.

But they did. They did because of that girl.

I needed to find her, to thank her.

After Pete was situated in his bed, I went back to Patrick's room. There was the nurse, checking Patrick's vitals.

I stepped in. Her name tag said "Ashley".

"Hey, Ashley. I just wanted to say thank you. Patrick would be dead right now if you hadn't said something. So, uhh, thanks," I said.

She looked at me. "Brendon Urie. I always dreamed I would meet you, but never over an unconscious Patrick Stump."

Huh.

She saw my confused look and smiled. "Brendon, ever since 2005, I've loved Panic! At The Disco and Fall Out Boy. I've been to 14 Panic! concerts and 9 Fall Out Boy ones. I even managed to find a Soul Punk show in my area. So, honestly, I don't know what I would do with myself if I had the chance to save Patrick and didn't."

She lifted up her sleeve and I saw there was a tattoo on her upper arm. It was the FOB logo. And behind her ear, she had a P!.

I didn't know what to say. "Wow, uhh..."

I write lyrics that go platinum, but my mind is drawing a blank now.

"Ashley, thank you for listening to our music for this long and supporting us. If Patrick was awake, he would want to thank you too. Just, thanks for everything. Saving Patrick, too. I don't know what I would do if this little man died."

She walked out the door then turned around for a moment. "Me neither." And then she left.

Patrick didn't look like he was moving any time soon, so I decided to call everyone and let them know what happened.

I dialed Sarah's number. She picked up on the third ring. "Hey, Bren. What's up?"

"Hey, babe. Can you come to the hospital? Something happened."

I heard her gasp. "Is everyone okay?"

"Everyone is alive, at least. I'll explain when you get here," I responded.

"Okay, honey, I'm on my way. See you there."

"Bye, Sarah."

I sent a group text to everyone else.

To: Joe, Andy, Meagan, Elisa, Marie

Come to the hospital, now. Something happened. I'll explain when you're all here.

I got a chorus of "on my way's" and decided to check on Pete. I walked to his room and looked through the window. He looked like he was stirring.

I walked in and sat down as soon as he opened his eyes. He looked confused for a moment, then it hit him.

"Patrick! Oh my god, is he okay?" Pete almost shouted.

I pushed him back into the bed. "Yes, he's alive. I'll explain when the others get here. Let's to back to his room, yeah?"

Pete nodded and bolted past me to the door. I followed. Soon, everyone was in Patrick's room, looking worried. Patrick looked the same as he did before. Weak.

"What happened, Bren?" Elisa asked, holding Declan in her arms. God, that woman is a hero. Everything going on with Patrick and having to take care of a baby.

I sighed. "Well, I brought Patrick his guitar, hoping it would cheer him up. You should've seen the look in his face when I brought it in. He looked like a kid in a candy store.

"He tried to play but... he couldn't move his burnt arm. Then he started freaking out, saying he wasn't good enough and the band should go on without him..."

Several gasps filled the room. We all knew Patrick was the most talented out of all of us. And we all knew that if Patrick couldn't play or sing, Fall Out Boy would die.

"Then he started having a really bad panic attack. His heart monitor sped up and he looked like he was in a lot of pain. He flatlined. Then the doctors came in and started to CPR and using an AED. Then they announced him dead."

The room gasped. Elisa had tears on her cheeks.

"But there was this one nurse. Her name was Ashley. She saved him. Basically what happened was he had a really bad panic attack and that caused a heart attack. His heart gave out and if it wasn't for Ashley, Trick would be dead right now," I finished.

The room was quiet, except for the steady beeping of the heart monitor.

Joe stood up and said ,"Marie, let's go for a walk. I need to think."

Marie nodded and grabbed Joe's hand. They walked out of the room.

Pete was quietly crying into Meagan's shoulder. Elisa was looking at Patrick, thinking.

Suddenly, Elisa stood up. "I can't do this anymore," she whispered.

What does she think she's doing?