Chapter 26

Pete P.O.V.

I was worried about Patrick. He hadn't called or texted in two hours. That means Elisa wasn't so good or he was too upset to tell me what happened.

He was right about Declan. Declan wouldn't stop screaming his head off. He kept screaming for Elisa. That must have been hell for Patrick.

I finally got him to calm down when I put him in the playroom with Saint. He saw a toy that he always plays with when he comes here and played with that.

I asked Meagan to watch them while I waited to hear from Patrick. Finally, my phone rang and Patrick's name flashed across the screen.

I pressed the green button and said, "Hey, dude. How's she doing?"

I heard a shaky breath. He'd definitely been crying.

"She'll live. She's going to be fine," he said. God, his voice sounded so quiet and broken. This wasn't the man who sang his lungs out on stage. This was a new man. A man with a broken mold.

"That's good, right? What's up?" I said, grabbing my jacket and heading out the door.

"It's uhh... It's nothing. I'll tell you after I tell her. She's still asleep," his weak voice said.

"Is she going to wake up soon?" I said while starting the car.

"Yeah, that's what the doctor said. Elisa should be good as new within a week," Patrick said.

"Okay, good. I'm on my way now. Declan is at home with Meagan," I said. I backed out of the driveway and started down the road to the hospital.

"Okay, thanks, Pete. Please get here soon. I need...someone," he whispered.

"God. Yeah man, I'll be there in like 20 minutes. Hang in there," I said.

He hung up and I pressed the pedal. Soon, I was struggling to find a parking space again. I eventually found one and made my way to the waiting room. I went to the receptionist and asked, "What room is Elisa Stump in?"

She typed something into her computer and told me she was in room 111. I quickly thanked her and walked to Elisa's room. I knocked on the door and it was a moment before the door opened.

I walked in and I could swear I was in an episode of House M.D. Patrick was sitting in a chair, leaning against Elisa's bed, holding her hand. He looked even worse than earlier. His glasses were askew, his hair was even wilder, the scratch on his cheek from Declan had started to scab. There were dark purple rings under his eyes from lack of sleep. To be quite honest, Elisa looked better than him. She was sleeping peacefully and looked perfectly healthy (except the IV in her arm). Patrick looked like a wreck.

"Hey, man. How you doing?" I asked. I already knew he wasn't okay.

He shrugged weakly and turned back to Elisa. 

"Has she woken up at all yet?" I asked.

He shook his head.

What was up with the silence?

"Dude, you okay?" I said, pulling up a chair from the side of the room. I sat down and put my hand on his back.

He nodded, a little too quickly for my liking. I saw a single tear slowly drip down his cheek.

"No, you're not okay. Come here," I said, putting my arms out.

He looked at me pitifully for a moment before melting into my arms. His entire body slumped into mine and my shirt got wet with his tears. He started quietly sobbing into my chest.

What the hell happened to Elisa to make him so upset?

"Is Elisa okay? You said she would wake up and be fine. Why are you so sad about it?" I said while hugging him tight.

He pulled away from me and looked at Elisa for a moment. Then he turned back to me and I saw the sadness in his eyes. He took a shaky breath before he spoke.

"I was going to wait to tell her first but..." he drifted off.

"What is it? Does she have cancer or something?" I asked.

"No, no. She just... It's called stress-induced cardiomyopathy. Commonly known as broken heart syndrome, Pete. I did this to her. She's in pain because of me. I'm the fucking reason my wife is in a hospital bed."

More tears fell from his eyes and I finally understood. He thinks he caused this. He must feel so worthless right now. God, this poor man.

"Patrick, this is not your fault. That fire caused all of this to happen-"

"Save it, Pete! I made the decision to make her wait. I was the one who wasn't going to take her back. This is my fault!" he shouted.

"Calm down, 'Trick. If that fire had never happened, you would've never had to deal with all this," I said, hoping no doctors had heard his outburst.

"Nonetheless, I could have taken her back right away and she would be fine, happy right now. But I'm so pathetic and selfish that I put my feelings before her own," he said, not meeting my eyes.

"Patrick, you were scared of getting hurt again. You were being human. You didn't do anything wrong," I said, trying to get him to look at me.

His eyes finally met mine and I almost broke. His eyes were crystal balls filled with sadness, hatred, anger. I knew most of these emotions were directed towards himself. Come to think of it, he looked pretty close to how I did all those years ago.

Suddenly, I saw some movement out of the corner of my eye. Patrick's head whipped in that direction. Elisa had moved a bit. Her eyelids were flickering.

"Pete, get out," he said quietly.

I understood he needed some time alone with her to explain. I patted his shoulder and left the room. I walked to the waiting room and...well...waited. 

//

hello, frens!! I just wanna let you know i have a new fic up! im unsure if i will continue it, but i will if you want me to. please go read, and if you like it, vote for and comment on it! okay, that's it, ily and new updates and drama in this story soon <3