20. Mission Accomplished.

_____Avery's POV_____

     I sit on the swing of the lonely playground, waiting for Ryder to show up. I didn't plan for things to turn out this way. I was supposed to simply just drive away, and have no one miss me... I forgot my money, my car ran out of gas... And here I am, stuck. I can't call anyone, but people can call me... That's the great part of having no reception. 

      I look up at the sky, and rain clouds start to gather over me, just great. I put my phone in my bag, so if it does start raining, it won't get wet. I sigh and start to swing. I made a huge mistake... I left so I could think, and I definitely have. I figured out that I was wrong, about everything.  Suddenly, it starts raining, and in less than five seconds, I'm already drenched. I just shiver and sit still on the swing. Bright headlights park in front of me, and a man comes over, running to me and scoops me up into his arms, trying to shield me from the rain. I smell the cologne and sigh in relief when I figure out that it's Ryder.

"Thank God you're okay." He whispers, his voice cracking at the end.

"I'm so sorry..." I squeak and cry into his chest.

"Sh, it's all over now... Go wait in the car, I'll grab your bag, okay?"

I just nod my head numbly and walk over to the car, jumping inside.  The trunk opens and Ryder places my bag in it. He shuts the trunk, and walks over to my side of the car, opening my door. He reaches inside and gently moves a piece of my hair away from my face, and hands me a blanket.

"That should warm you up in no time." He says with a small smile, trying to cheer me up.

"Thanks." Is all I say.

      He just nods and shuts the door, walking over to his side. Jumping in the car, he shakes his head, and small water droplets fling everywhere.

"You remind me of a dog..." I say, chuckling.

"Do I, now?" He asks teasingly.

"I guess that means I'm your bitch..." He adds.

"I guess so, you did drive all this way to get me... And you brought a fluffy blanket too." I tell him with a smile.

"It was worth it, I got you to smile, and to come home." He replies honestly.

"Can I see your phone?" I ask him.

"Of course. Are you checking for those messages?" He questions, handing me his phone.

"Yea..." I answer quietly.

"I don't blame you... I guess I'd do the same... Especially if someone sent me a picture of the text messages." He agrees  while starting the car and driving away.

I look through the phone and see that the text messages, were fake.

"I'm sorry I didn't believe you..." I apologize.

"Avery, you have nothing to be sorry for... I probably would have reacted the same way... But do you have any idea how scared I was? I thought I lost you..."

      I just look down and fiddle with my fingers. Ryder just sighs and continues driving. Suddenly, I gasp and look up.

"What about Dory?! We completely left her there!" I shout. Ryder slightly jumps up in his seat.

"Don't do that again Ave, I almost crashed the car.  And don't worry about Dory, she's being towed and taken care of. She will be back in your driveway by the morning, okay?" Ryder scolds, yet calms me down at the same time. I nod and look out the window.