Nick was already researching Abby's injuries, trying to figure out what more could be done. I sat back uselessly wondering how the fuck everything got to this point.

"Aiden, unless you plan on telling people how you're related, you can't stay." Nate reminded me.

"Right, okay. I'm not going home. I'll be my car if you need anything. Keep an eye on Nick, please." I muttered.

* * *

Two days had passed without a word from Bridget and a ventilator still breathing for Abby. The fact that she was sitting in Megan's room with out me there, completely accessible to Alec, made my skin crawl. I had never felt so powerless, knowing nothing I could do would make this okay. I revealed my deception to her at a time when her trust in others had already been shattered. The only ounce of trust she had left was with me, and I tore it away before she was ready.

The tubes and IVs made my sister almost unrecognisable. The harsh scent of antiseptics made my head throb. I sat in the seat beside the bed and held onto her hand. It was the only part of her that still looked normal. Even her closed eyes were taped to prevent corneal abrasions. Wires were inserted all over her body, but her hands stayed untouched.

"Can she hear me?" I asked the nurse as she took Abigail's vitals.

"The doctors will tell you we can't know for sure, but I think she can. I believe comatose patients do better when you talk to them. Talk to her." She finished her work and left.

There were so many things I wanted to tell her and so much I wanted to hear from her. I wondered if she would really hear me or not.

"You need to be okay. I just got you and Nate back. I still have so much more to learn about you. Nate needs you. I...um... I need you. When you found me, you brought back some of my humanity."

I looked back down at her hands before reluctantly continuing to speak as if my honesty would pull her back to consciousness.

"You have been the only one able to tell me when I'm out of line or going overboard. I need you to tell me what to do to fix what I did to Bridget. She... effects me in a way I don't know how to explain or handle. I haven't cared for anyone since I lost everything. Now, I'm losing both you and Bridget at the same time. And, I really... I don't think I can do it." I paused to get my thoughts in order. My voice shook as I forced the words out.

My breathing became more erratic as the reality of what I said settled in. Lately, it has been so difficult to keep my emotions in control. I had become so used to burying everything that I had no idea what do to when it crept up to the surface. My eyes closed as I did what I do best, bury it all. I inhaled a deep breath and continued.

"Nate and I need you to be here. We aren't finished."

I felt uncomfortable saying all of it out loud. It reminded me of praying, which I hadn't done since my parents dragged us to church as kids. I stood up to leave and saw Bridget standing in the doorway. I wondered how much she heard.

"Can we talk?" She asked. I nodded and walked out into the hall with her. Her appearance was strikingly different. She was so sad and exhausted, and it was my fault.

"What's wrong?" I asked, knowing how stupid of a question that was.

"Everything is wrong. I– I can't breathe. My family has all but dragged me out of here to get me home. I think they're scared that I know too much, and they want to keep me quiet. And I can't breathe because I'm terrified my dad will take advantage of catching me alone." She rambled.