Chapter 16 - Ring of hidden meanings

Chapter 16 – Ring of hidden meanings

I wasn’t even out of my truck before Scar found me, he was looking just had handsome as ever. “What’s that?” I asked pointing at the small box in his hand and locking my truck with the other hand at the same time.

“Nothing really” he said taking my right hand linking are fingers together as he lead me towards the school entrance. I frowned at his expression but let it go for now, as I realised that most of the student body were staring at us.

“You think they would get over it” I said as we walked towards the nearest metal detector. “Get over what?” Scar asked distracted, I looked down to see he had is hand fisted around the little blue box he was holding. I looked back up to his face before answering “Us, I mean us being together”

He shrugged seeming uninterested as we joined the short queue, Suzi and Brixie walked up to stand behind us at that moment so I could ask Scar again about the box he seemed so interested in. “Next, Max” I span around from where Suzi had been asking me how last night’s dinner had gone, conscious of how quiet Scar was being.  

I walked forward to give my bag to the security man, he had obviously decided it was easier to do us at the same time because he held his other hand out for Scar’s bag as he quickly looked through mine. Scar handed his over with only a roll of his eyes.

“What’s that?” He asked pointing at the box that Scar had not given over. He glanced at me with a worried expression before saying nothing to the guy. “I sorry Mate but I need to look at it” said the security man said almost apologetically hold out his hand.  Scar glared at him, and looked like he was going to argue just as he had about his bag the first time I had seen him at school.

I grabbed the box out of his hand quickly holding it out to the security man “Just let him see it” I said sending my boyfriend a warning glare. The guy opened the box and what was in there surprised me, it was a ring, a beautiful one it was made of silver it was like to vines were twisted together. I looked to the side of Scars head because he wasn’t looking at me but glaring at the sheepish looking security guard. He wordlessly handed it back to Scar who grabbed both our bags in one hand and used the other still linked with mine to drag me through the metal detector and on to the school courtyard.

“Is that for me?” I asked surprised I could even speak I was still shocked. “I was going to give it to you later.” He said sounding embarrassed and I pulled on his hand until he stopped and turned to face me, I was conscious of all the other students who were watching us. “It’s beautiful, but why are you giving me a ring.” I asked.

Scar coughed embarrassed then cleared his throat and looked into my eyes for the first time since I had mention the little box. “Its tradition for Markers to wear these, much like marriage it shows partnership, one day I wish to marry you as well so the whole world will know your mine, but for now I am happy for just the Haler’s world to know your mine.” He said holding out the still open box for me to look at now I knew the true meaning of the ring.

I smiled at him and leant forward and kissed him, with the image of the both of us in white tuxes on our wedding day in my head. When I broke away from the kiss, it was to see love and happiness sparkling in his eyes. “Thank you” he said his smile growing even wider. I frowned surely it should be me who was thanking him for the ring. “You just imprinted that image in my mind.” I felt my brow frown again “The one of our wedding day” he said I could see water in his eyes, my big bad boy, boyfriend had tears in his eyes thinking about our wedding day.

“How? I don’t know how to.” I said and he smirked “It must just come natural to you when you’re not trying.” I rolled my eyes how good was a special power if I couldn’t even use it when I was trying to. It didn’t seem like the most useful power either, how was I meant to help Scar and the rest of the Mason family in fighting against the bad guys when all I could do was put a picture unto someone’s mind.

“Hey what’s wrong?” he asked bending down so his eyes were level with mine from his taller height. “It’s just that, how I am meant to help” he frowned down at me, as the bell sounded everyone started moving towards the door, Suzi and Brixie caught up with us just then and I could see both Blaine and Josh making their way over to us. “It’s nothing, forget it” he carried on frowning at me out of the corner of his eye but let the subject drop as my friends and his brother came up to us.

It was in history that I realised I wasn’t wearing the ring, Scar hadn’t actually given it to me, the fact I had used my gift had over shadowed it for both of us. I bite my bottom lip and stared out the window just as Brixie was doing next to me. I had PE next and was looking forward to it, because I would see Scar again, this time I would remember not to catch the ball if he hits it.

Another thought came to mind as I watch the year below us play football out the window, I wasn’t good at sports, I could play them fine I understood the rules and I suppose I wasn’t awful at them but I wasn’t as good as any of the Mason’s I started to wonder whether it was a Haler thing to be good at sports or just a Mason thing. I had never been the biggest fan of sports but I had seen it on TV and people caught balls all the time without their hands ending up broken so maybe it was a Haler thing, maybe I had super strength or something I didn’t know I had.

I was just promising to ask Scar later when I went to the garage after school like I did every day. The bell rang and everyone jumped up with excitement at the chance to leave the teachers droning voice which was sending most of the class a sleep.

I walked into the changing rooms to see, both Blaine and Scar walking out just like the first day. I quickly changed and started to head straight across to the back door like before when we played baseball outside, when I heard my boyfriend call my name. I span round to see him smirking at me with his chuckling brother beside him and the rest of the class stood the other side of the glass wall into the swimming pool.

“Shit” I said and jogged over to them, to see they were both wearing swimming trucks, I racked my brain trying to remember if the sir had informed me that we would be swimming today and came up blank. “We do swimming once a month” said Scar his laughter still sparkling in his eyes, I just mocked glared at him, and he could have told me.

“I didn’t know, you didn’t know” he said and Blaine beside him just grinned when I looked down at my sweat pants and top. Then Scar’s eyes glazed over as both Blaine and I watched and just like before he stopped moving he didn’t even seemed to be breathing. I lay me hand over his heart mostly to reassure myself that he was still alive more than comfort.

Suddenly he was back, he circled his arms around my waist and lay his nose in my hair inhaling deeply anchoring himself to me, trying to bring himself out of the future. “What you see man?” asked Blaine his voice was series and I could feel his tension in him.

“Angie has joined Max” he said breathlessly still with his arms wrapped round me kissing my temple. Blaine nodded then he moved towards the door of the changing room still talking to us as he did. “Ok we got to tell the others, this isn’t random anymore to Markers Scar” Scar brought his head up to look over my head to look at his brother. “I know man, they know who they are, and they mention my name and Matt's. They’re hunting down our Marker’s.” Blaine froze for a second the look of pure fear taking over his features, then began to move again.

“Ok I’ll ring dad we better find these guys. And we need to tell Matt about Angie” He said the end as a question remembering Matt’s almost uninterested reaction to Angie being his Marker. “Yeah he’ll want to know, and yeah let find these mother fuckers.”

AN: I know its short I am sorry I haven't written in a while and its hard to get back into it.