Steve Rogers | I Love You {Part 2}

Machines beeped obnoxiously and the smell of disinfectant attacked anyone who dared to venture into the hospital, the potent smell curling around the visitor's nose. Of course Steve had become accustomed to it since the accident that occurred over a month ago; however the smell always made him feel sad bringing out his inner troubles, his depressed state due to you not being by his side visiting Peggy which was why he usually frequented the hospital. This time, like everyday for the last month, he was visiting you, your bruised body small in the crisp, white room that was known as room 7.

The disinfectant followed Steve as if it was chasing him, trying to steal the very essence of him. The smell was too clinical, stripping your usual fruity scent and replacing it with something that represented death and anguish. Anguish was something that Steve had been feeling.
'What if he'd have thrown his shield as soon as he'd seen someone approaching?'
'What if he'd have cleared the area quicker?'
'What if he'd made you stay in the helicopter, safe from the harm of the Russian base?'
He sat on the hard, uncomfortable plastic chair that was situated next to your bed as he watched your shallow breaths make your chest rise slightly. As he looked at you he knew that he couldn't have told you to stay behind in the helicopter, your act of selflessness by sacrificing yourself to protect the team was the noblest thing Steve had seen being everything the Avengers stood for and you became everything the team of Avengers wanted to be.

As Steve sat silently he wanted to scream at the top of his lungs. 'Why would anyone want to become like you?' You were stuck in a hospital bed, almost dead whilst everyone mourned you as if you'd already been buried six feet underground. Even though the conscious side of Steve knew he was being irrational and that life had to go on, he felt lost without you, without your smile, without your smell, your personality. It was as if you were his light at the end of this god awful tunnel, but the light that was guiding him may be snuffed out.

A bag of your belongings were left on the bedside table, so Steve slowly rose, his large shoulders slumped and he reached forward to pick the transparent bag up and inspected the contents. He picked up your phone pressing play on the latest song so that it filled the room with a warm welcoming feel, contrasted to the professional stiff aura given by the whole hospital. 'Somewhere Over the Rainbow' played making Steve smile. The deadly avenger was listening to musicals. He left the song playing quietly as he looked through the rest of the bag and pulled out your keys that had a keyring with a picture of you and Steve on a log flume at an amusement park when you were showing Steve the joys and advances of modern life. The memory of you both laughing and Steve screaming louder than you as you flew down the watery slope are him actually chuckle as he fondly gazed at the picture.
"I love you so much," he said as he stared at you lying in the bed almost as pale as the sterile white room around you. The music still played as Steve held your hand, stroking the back of your hand like you did to Steve to calm him before you faced the enemy. As he gazed at you, the monitors around your bed that you were hooked to started to beep, getting more vigorous and harsh. Steve looked around confused, his heart beat getting louder and louder, no longer like a drum keeping a steady rhythm.
"(Y/N)?" He said quietly.
"(Y/N)!" He almost shouted this time becoming desperate as he shook your hand up and down trying to get you to wake up.
Sprinting he ran out of your room shouting at the top of his lungs to gain the attention of nearby nurses and doctors.
"Help! I need help! Someone!"
Nurses and doctors flooded the room as the beeping of the machine became more urgent.
"Excuse me sir. Could you step out of the rook you please?" A nurse touched Steve's arm and guided him to the door, into the hallway.
"What's happening?" Steve asked shocked.
"She's going into cardiac arrest. Get the defibrillator!" A doctor shouted to his fellow staff members who crowded your bed.

With a final push, Steve was ejected from the room. He paced backwards and forwards, backwards and forwards, in a constant pattern that didn't change for at least fifteen minutes until the sound of a drone cut across the hall, the machine was flat lining. Numbness overcame Steve as he ran like it was slow motion to the window trying to see into your room. Doctors wore morose looks on their faces as they looked at their watches. He heard the dreaded words "(Y/F/N) (Y/L/N) pronounced dead at 18:34 on the 02/07/16."
As Steve heard the words he crumpled against the wall and ran his hands through his blonde short hair tears slipping out of his eyes. You were gone... Forever this time. Steve sobbed, his heart breaking as he realised you wouldn't be a part of his life anymore, regretting that he'd never told you that he'd loved you whilst he could.

Sort of a request for @Liz-Rogers as it's a death, but it's a continuation of another imagine... I hope it's okay :)

A/N: Hey guys, I'm back! I got a few requests before that I continue this imagine so I've finally gotten around to doing it. Sorry it's a bit depressing. I'm going to this camp thing on Monday till Friday so I'll try and update on the coach there. I had my prom last Friday (24/06/16) which as amazing. I might put some photos up if you want me to? Anyway what do you guys think of this imagine? I'd love to hear your opinions. I'm gonna go now, so love you all and have a good day/night wherever you are - Holly x