Clint x Reader | Christmas

For Yavanna80

A week until Christmas and you and Clint were only just putting up your Christmas tree. It wasn't that you couldn't be bothered to do it, it was because of your busy work schedule crashing with Clint's. You hauled the box of old decorations that you and Clint had accumulated over the years from your attic and set them on the floor by the ladder that was balancing against the open hatch in the ceiling. Luckily for you, you didn't have to carry the Christmas tree down the ladder- Clint was trying to show you how much of a man he was and refused your help.
'What an idiot.' You thought as you heard him grunt trying to pull the tree from the spot that it was wedged tightly in.

Everything had found its way into the attic, regardless of the object, because you hadn't properly unpacked since moving into the terraced house two months ago. It was yours and Clint's first house, since Stark Tower didn't count as your own place. Both of your jobs at S.H.I.E.L.D were decently paid, meaning you could now afford the luxury of actually owning a house. Sadly the mess of mundane things such as spare bowls, plates, towels etc. weren't going to move themselves, and were just gathering dust in the attic. You and Clint had decided to finally unpack together tomorrow, so that you'd have the whole day.

As you strung up some fairy lights on an antique mirror that took up the entire section of wall above the radiator, you started a conversation with Clint as he carried the tree into the living room downstairs. He was still struggling, but wouldn't admit it, you rolled your eyes in mock annoyance at his antics.
"How long do you reckon it will take to at least unpack the cutlery boxes, hon?" You asked as you tried to calculate how long it would take to unpack every box. He put the box containing the Christmas tree on the floor.
"About that, baby... Fury has drafted me in for another mission. I only just found out this morning." He looked sad as he stared into your eyes. He always made you feel tiny because of the height difference, he wasn't Thor, but he was taller than the average male, so his height made you feel more protected.
"But it's almost christmas. What if you have to stay over christmas? Clint..." You carried on staring into his blue eyes as a look of sincere hopelessness formed across his features. You knew he couldn't back out of this mission. "Fine, but if you're not back for Christmas, Fury won't have HYDRA to worry about!" You mock threatened, making Clint smile.
"I'm sorry, babe. You know that I'd stay with you if I could, but these are the downsides to being Hawkeye," he said carefully, "I'm glad you understand." He grabbed your hands and pulled you in to kiss you. The kiss was full of passion as you both forgot about the Christmas decorations strewn on the furniture and on the floor. As things became more passionate, you pushed Clint back making him groan in annoyance.
"What's wrong?" He asked with a confused expression adorning his handsome features.
"As much as I love you sweetie, we have a whole house to decorate so that it looks like Santa Clause and his Elves puked christmas all over it." You joked.
"But whhhhyyyy?" He whined sounding like a child.
"Because we won't do it later." You stated matter of factly, "And anyway, if we're fast enough we could pick up where we left off." You smirked at him as he rose his eyebrows.
"Let's get decorating then baby!" He was almost as fast as Pietro, speeding around trying to put the decorations up on the tree. By the time he had finished (in just under two hours) it truly looked like christmas in the house - after you'd neatly positioned all the tinsel and lights, of course. Let's just say that you most definitely picked up where you left off earlier...

*time skip brought to you by Clint getting tangled in tinsel after trying to separate all the pieces*

You woke early the next morning when the bed moved. Clint had just woken up and was getting changed into some tracksuit bottoms and a black shirt that showed all of his muscles nicely. You admired his back as he changed and spoke up.
"Be careful, honey. You'd best be back in one piece!" Whilst you said it jokingly, you were always worried for Clint's safety, whether it was in battle or just walking down the street.
Clint slowly turned around, "I love you, you know that right. And I'll be fine." He made his way towards your side of the double bed that you two shared and  kissed your head gently and lovingly.
"I'll see you soon." You said as he walked out of the bedroom door quietly.
"I'll see you as soon as possible." He responded slowly.
As you heard the door slam you got up out of bed and slid your dressing gown over your shoulders, providing some extra warmth for the cold, winters day that was going to hit your city. The windows were frosted up as you went to watch Clint get in the black car with tinted windows. It was then that you thought that you should start unpacking on your own. It would be less work later on and it would distract you from the feeling of loneliness buried inside of you. After showering and changing you felt refreshed to start unpacking and tidying the house. You had a plan of starting by unpacking the kitchen boxes and then working your way around.

It was during you unpacking your fourth box of kitchen supplies that you heard the front door open and close quietly.
"Hello?" You called out, slightly scared. As morbid thoughts of murderers and death filtered through your brain, you heard a small bell tinkling in the hallway. You slowly made your way forward when you were greeted to a soft head and a small bark. There was a golden retriever puppy in your house.

How? Why?

You bent down to stroke the puppy when a pair of familiar black boots appeared in your peripheral vision. You picked the puppy up and straightened until you were eye level with none other than your precious Clint. His face was lit up in a grin as he watched you and the dog interact.
"I thought you were in a mission!" You almost shouted through relief and shock.
You ran with the puppy still in your arms, into Clint's open arms that were waiting for your body to land in them. The loosely circled around your waist so you wouldn't squish the dog that was trying to lick your face.
"I had to think of an excuse to get out and prepare for this little guy." He said as he tickled the dog under its chin.
"I was worried for you Clint! What if you were to get hurt? How would I cope? And you weren't even in any danger!" You out the puppy on the floor and squeezed Clint into a hug with all your might, "As much as I love you, you are an idiot sometimes, Mr Clint Barton." You chastised.
"I love you?" He tried.
"I love you too, you goofball!" You declared with your face in his jacket, "what's his name?" You asked as you pulled away from Clint and looked at the puppy.
Clint picked him up and looked at him, "He hasn't got a name, you can pick it, baby." He said making you excited.
"I think we should call him Hawk." You said confidently as you stared at the puppy. At the mention of Hawk the puppy's ears twitched and he looked at you.
"Hawk it is then." Clint said laughing, "I love you (Y/N)" he said.
"Clint, I love you too; however I have one question to ask you... How did you manage to tie the ribbon around his neck?" At this question you both started to laugh until you had tears in your eyes.
"With great difficulty." He managed to say through heavy laughter.
It was safe to say it was one of the best and most fun Christmases you'd ever had, especially now that you had little Hawk as your newest family member.