Chapter 45: Left behind

I'm not sorry for the last chapter :)

—————————————————

All was ink and fog. Shapes and faces rose out of the darkness, voices hissed and whispered in the corners of Clockwork's mind. The skulled face of a Wendigo yawned before her, canines dripping with blood. There was a red sound wave that kept telling her she needed new screws in her elbows. Someone complained about a fly in their Nachos.

She was confused, drifting in this endless sea of black. She didn't recognize anything. Once she thought she saw a glimmer of light in the distance, but it was quickly snuffed out. She turned around and around, seeing nothing.

There was a click behind her and she spun around yet again. A barrel of a gun materialized in front of her nose and fired.

Clockwork jolted awake with a gasp. She was in her room: the simple box with a chair, a night table, a bed, and Cameron's Klock. It ticked at her loudly, as if to say "about time she woke up!"

After a short moment, her body caught up with her. Lightheadedness and pain rushed to her head, and she fell onto her back to avoid throwing up. Her jaw and right knee hurt with a persistent pounding, and everything else just ached.

Her brain felt fuzzy. She felt like she wasn't supposed to be at home, but she didn't know where else she should be.

She slowly lifted herself upright again and squinted at the Klock. It read 6:47, but she wasn't sure if it was afternoon or morning; the faint light oozing through the bottom of her door suggested either.

She longed to go back to sleep, but the hunger knawing at her stomach demanded immediate attention. She rubbed her eyes, took a deep breath, and swung her legs out of bed.

When she tried to stand, her right leg completely gave out from under her.

She barely caught herself on her bed post, daggers of pain slicing up her leg, making her dizzy. She shakily lifted herself against the post and looked down at her knee: a black brace wrapped snugly around it, preventing it from bending. She tenderly put weight on it and let out a breath.

When did I break my knee...?

Clockwork groaned to herself. Obviously she'd forgotten something important in her black out. She hated playing catch-up.

After a lot of painful limping and a few curse words, Clockwork made it to the bathroom. Her hand shook as she poured a cup of water and gulped it down in an attempt to soothe her dry throat. It didn't work very well.

She looked at herself in the mirror. Her hair was a rat's nest, the left side of her jaw was swollen and a nasty shade of red-violet, and there was dried blood crusted in her clock. It'd stopped ticking. She wasn't looking forward to cleaning it out.

She opened the medicine cabinet and rummaged around for some kind of pain killer, found a bottle of it, and swallowed twice the normal dose. That probably wasn't safe, but at the moment she didn't care. Clockwork closed the cabinet and put her head in her hands, already feeling drained.

"Good morning," A quiet voice said from behind her. She looked up, seeing Toby in the mirror. He had that black turtleneck on, and the old scar over his forehead had been reopened and joined by another deep red cut. He seemed tired.

"Hey," Clockwork said weakly. Her throat hurt to speak. She got herself more water.

"How do you feel?" He moved up behind her and pulled a lock of her hair over her shoulder and onto her back. She put her face back into her hands.