Chapter 37: Just A Superstition

Toby stumbled out of the bathroom, his hair sticking in multiple directions and his eyes empty. He fell against the opposite wall, braced himself against it with his forearms, and rested his forehead onto the smooth, cool surface. His breathing was shallow and uneven, and Clockwork could see him shaking from exhaustion under a black turtleneck she hadn't seen before.

It hurt her to see him like this, like he didn't have any energy left. She made a mental note to rip Slenderman's throat out when she got the chance.

She crept up to him and reached out for his arm hesitantly.

"Toby..." Her voice came out hoarse and quiet; she cleared her throat but the lump that had risen in it didn't disappear. She gently touched his shoulder and felt the involuntary tremors of his muscles vibrate through her fingers.

He opened his dull eyes to look at her, but he took a while to focus.

"It's not your fault." He whispered. His voice sounded hoarse as well, and he coughed a little.

"Yes it is..." She murmured. He just stared straight through her. She reached out and touched the scar on his forehead Megan had given him what seemed like forever ago, making Toby's eyelids flutter. It was now an ugly red, like it had been reopened. "He wouldn't have done this to you..." She broke off, noticing the look of pain in Toby's gaze. "W-would he?"

Toby lifted himself from off the wall and reached for her, and she let him pull her into a very welcomed hug. She could hear the shakiness of his breathing and feel the trembling of his arms and his chest, and a sob built up in her throat that she would have given voice to if she weren't so afraid of Slenderman hearing her.

Toby pulled his arms tighter around her and buried his face in the curve of her neck. She felt the dampness of his hair against her skin and noticed once again how well he fit there, like she was always supposed to stay in his arms, like he was always supposed to hold her like this.

Like they were always supposed to stay together.

"Is he ever going to stop?" Clockwork asked weakly after a moment's silence.

"Until I pass out or die, probably," Toby responded, keeping his voice very low. "Then he can't use me anymore."

Clockwork was having difficulty holding that sob in. She pressed herself into his chest and squeezed her eyes shut. "D-don't die, Toby..."

He continued to hug her, his arms wrapped gently around her like he might break her. "I won't." He said quietly, his voice suddenly very soft. Something inside of her melted into an unfamiliar warm feeling.

She lost track of how long they stood there; his face hidden in her shoulder, her arms drawn up into his chest, but it felt like forever and only a few seconds at the same time.

But the moment she thought he might not ever have to let go, and they could stay there for a literal forever, the horrid icy cold voice returned, shattering the warm cocoon Toby's hug had put her in. He didn't let go, but she felt him slacken when the voice spoke his name:

"Toby,"

Clockwork lifted her head off of his chest and looked behind her. Slenderman couldn't be seen - he must have been in the living room.

"He hasn't come out yet!" She called. Slenderman didn't respond, but he didn't question it either. She turned back around to rest her head on him again, but he had pulled away from her already. She sighed.

"He can tell when you're lying, Clocky." Toby murmured. He distractedly ran his fingers through a knot in her hair in an attempt to pull it out.

"I know." She said miserably. "Seemed worth a shot, though..."