Chapter 11: What Have You Done?

Please don't be dead please don't be dead please don't be dead.

"Toby, Toby please!" He wouldn't answer her. "No no no no no no no Toby!"

Clockwork wanted to cry. She knew better than to shake him; that would only make it worse. Meanwhile, his blood was leaking onto the ground, turning the dirt to mud around him. He didn't seem to be breathing.

"How sweet." Megan's voice said from right behind Clockwork. She didn't turn around, just felt Toby's pulse. It was there - gosh it was there - but it was very faint and too fast for Clockwork's liking.

"If you love him so much why did you - why did you -" Clockwork stumbled over her words. She hadn't killed him. No. No, Toby was not going to die. No no no no no no...

"Well if he's dead he can't have anyone at all." She was closer behind Clockwork now. "It's for the better."

Finally, Clockwork turned around, and she saw her.

No wonder Toby had called her a thing.

She was tall, not as tall as Slender, though she could be called that herself, with arms so thin they looked like there was no muscle in them at all. She was wearing black leather with sharp edges, defining the horrid thinness of her body even more. She had heeled boots that were almost up to her knees and laced up with blood red string, but Clockwork saw bits of white on them, like they didn't used to be red.

Clockwork could see the stitch marks around her wrists and in chunks on her arms, though they weren't symmetrical, or done with the same thread, like she'd sewn them at different points in time. She stood with her head slightly tilted to one side, perfectly smooth dark brown hair tumbling down her back almost to her waist.

There were more stitch marks around her neck, wrapping around in different places like she'd had her head cut off several times. In her right hand she had the chain weapon, swinging it around and around casually with her thin arm like it weighed nothing. If she had moved her arm slightly towards her the blade would have cut her own head open. Clockwork wondered if she cared.

But it was her face that was the most terrifying.

Her eyes were gone, claw marks marring the areas around them like some animal had ripped them out. The sockets were clean, just empty, dark holes, though that made them even more disturbing, like they sucked the light out from around them. Her mouth was sewn together in a gruesome smile, though it looked calm, like a smile one might have if they were dreaming. Clockwork wondered how she spoke if she couldn't open her mouth.

Clockwork gripped her knives, the one in her right hand crusty from dried hellhound blood, and glared at Megan. She was crouched on the ground in front of Toby; Megan would have to go through her to get to him.

"That's cute." Something glittered like jewels behind the darkness of Megan's eye sockets when she spoke. "I met a girl like you once. Tried to defend her twin brother." Megan looked off into the distance like she was trying to remember. "I think she was called... Yes, Gretta. Gretta and her brother, George. Cutest pair of kids I'd ever seen."

The strange reflectiveness in Megan's eyes flashed maliciously. "I almost regretted it. But Smeagol has to eat, too."

"You're a monster." Clockwork snarled. Megan laughed, throwing her head back and seizing to swing her blade around, but her mouth still didn't move, so it was a strange sight.

"Look who's talking." Megan snapped her head back up a little too quickly. She sort of moved like she was a puppet and someone was pulling strings above her. She started spinning her weapon around again. "We're all monsters here."