Chapter 19: Nightmares

She'd really hurt his feelings this time.

Toby didn't speak to her unless it was a question, and even then, if he could answer yes or no he would just nod or shake his head. Eventually Clockwork stopped trying.

There was a deadness to his eyes now, like he wasn't really seeing anything. Once he was so zoned out he actually ran into the side of the table.

Clockwork almost asked if he was okay before she remembered he didn't feel it.

Why don't you feel anything? Hoody had asked her.

Clockwork traced a few scars on the table sullenly. Maybe Toby felt more than she did. She certainly couldn't tell when to not say certain things to people...

It was about 9:00 at night, and Toby had gone upstairs at least an hour ago and hadn't come back. Clockwork was alone at the kitchen table while Pepper watched some Netflix and Masky gazed out the window like he always did. He looked like he was waiting for someone, but didn't expect them to come. Clockwork wondered who it was, if it was anyone.

Masky always seemed kind of lonely, even if Hoody was his best friend, and he had plenty of people to talk to; there was a certain sadness that was always hiding behind his voice and his eyes.

Maybe he was depressed.

Clockwork heard slow, paced footsteps, and she instantly recognized it as Slenderman. She shuddered and didn't turn around; he still freaked her out.

He stopped in the living room and started watching whatever it was Pepper was watching.

There was silence except for the quiet speech of the TV for a very long time. Clockwork set her head sideways on the table and aimlessly twisted her knife around and around so different patterns of light flashed across the metal. Once it almost looked like a skull, which kind of freaked her out.

"Jeffery." Slenderman said said so suddenly that Clockwork jumped hard enough she almost cut herself.

She straightened out and turned around to see Jeff with his hand on the door handle, his dark hair in disarray around his eyes. What startled her was that he wasn't wearing his grey hoodie like usual, he had on a jet black one that blended perfectly with his hair, so it almost looked like they were made of the same material. He sighed, smiling a little.

"I was seriously hoping you wouldn't notice me." He said. Clockwork was surprised Slenderman had noticed him, too, she hadn't heard him coming at all.

"Where are you going?" Slender asked suspiciously. Jeff laughed, his hand still on the door handle. He twisted it but didn't open the door yet.

"I thought you'd know." He said calmly. Slender sighed, like he had known, but he didn't like it.

"At least take Smile with you. You know I hate it when you go out at this time."

Jeff sighed with disappointment. "The biggest ones don't come out unless I'm alone, though." He said. Clockwork wasn't quite sure what they were talking about, but she was afraid to ask. Jeff looked very sinister when he was wearing black.

"That's my point." Slenderman hissed. Jeff lifted his head and his hair fell out of his eyes, electric blue eyes flashing with annoyance.

"Fine then." He growled. He snapped his fingers and only waited a few seconds before Smile came tearing around the corner and up to his side, panting enthusiastically. Jeff hadn't even snapped his fingers loud, Clockwork had no idea how Smiledog had known to come down when he did.

Masky snickered but didn't turn away from the window. "Or you could take Clock instead." He suggested. He turned his head and she saw his eyes glittering behind the mask. "I'd love to see her rip up some Nightmares."