Chapter 21: Eight Pages

"Why is it storming so often?" Clockwork wondered as she watched streams of rainwater zigzag down the window. It was dark outside, but it was morning, and the sun should've been pretty high in the sky. A bolt of lightning cut the sky open with a blinding flash and a rumble of thunder gently shook the shutters. The main part of the storm was already gone, but it was still raining like it would never stop.

"I want to go outside." Toby said unhappily, which didn't answer her question in the least bit.

"No." Slenderman said firmly.

"The hellhounds don't come out in the rain!"

"You'll catch pneumonia or something. You'll get covered in mud. You'll fall in the river." One of his tendrils twitched. "Or all three."

"But at least I don't get cut up by hellhounds!" Toby complained. He thunked his head against the cold glass of the window and Clockwork moved away from him, not appreciating the lack of personal space. "Let me go out there, please? I won't go far."

"You're not going outside in the rain, Toby."

Toby groaned and slid down the window and onto the floor, so his chin was resting on the sill. He looked like a little kid when he did that, and Clockwork had to resist a squeal. He looked miserable, bringing up an image of a puppy behind a cage, which also made Clockwork resist a squeal.

If Toby were a puppy she would love him to death.

"Please?" Toby said again.

"No."

Just then Toby twitched violently and banged his head on the side of the window. He yelped, once again bringing up that image of a puppy, and drew back, checking his head to make sure he wasn't bleeding.

"Ow." He said emotionlessly.

Clockwork reached out patted his head, unable to resist the urge anymore, and he gave her a look that looked like confusion, surprise, and a tad bit of disgust.

"Aww..." She cooed. He looked even more confused, grabbing her own hand and giving it back to her like it wasn't attached to her body or anything.

"This is yours."

"I realize that."

He let go of her hand, his face dead serious, like he'd just handed her a weapon of mass destruction. Clockwork started laughing. He raised an eyebrow and went back to longingly gazing out the window like nothing had ever happened.

"Please?" He said again.

"No." Slenderman answered, his voice just as firm. Toby's gaze hardened and he slumped farther towards the floor, sighing hugely. Clockwork kneeled down next to him, folding her arms underneath her chin and looking out the window as well.

The rain seemed a lot more inviting when you weren't allowed to go out in it.

She mimicked Toby's huge sigh but he didn't take notice to her. She glanced in his direction and elbowed him, but he still ignored her. She grinned and elbowed him harder and finally he looked at her and shoved her sideways, hard enough that she lost her balance and fell over.

She came up giggling and elbowed him again. "Hey, hey Toby." He ignored her. "Hey, Toby. Toby. Toby I have an idea. Toby. To-"

"What!?" He finally exploded. She started laughing and he had to wait a moment before she got a hold of herself. He gave her a dull look, and she suddenly realized that she was really bothering him, he wasn't joking.

This was so much fun.

She leaned closer to him so Slenderman wouldn't hear her, and he leaned farther away. She rolled her eyes.