Chapter 2: Toby

They're all idiots.

By the end of the next day, Clockwork wanted to kill all of them. Except for Pepper, she had a respect for Pepper, what with being able to remain mostly sane after living with these people for so long.

The worst thing about it was that she had to stay here, that thing (they all called it Smeagol, which Clockwork still associated with Lord Of The Rings) had wounded her pretty badly. She had to wait and recover, which she wouldn't mind, except they were all idiots!

"You'll get used to them." Pepper reassured her after she had to hold her back from gutting Hoody with her knives. "They aren't so bad, once you get to know them."

But Clockwork had no interest in getting to know any of them, especially Toby. Apparently they called him Ticci Toby too, but she didn't care. The only thing she ever called him was an idiot, because that's what he was.

One day she asked Pepper about Toby, because Pepper was the only person she could stand in this mad house.

"Is he a retard or something?!" She cried in exasperation. Pepper laughed.

"Oh no, Toby's far from mentally impaired." She rolled her eyes. "He's infuriatingly clever." For some reason Clockwork doubted that. "But he's also childish." Pepper shook her head at Clockwork, cat-like amber eyes sparkling with amusement. "He had zero childhood so I suppose he's making up for it."

"Is he ever serious!?" Clockwork demanded. Pepper laughed again.

"Sure he is." She said. "You haven't seen him when he's angry. He gets very scary, actually."

Again, Clockwork was doubtful. She was about to make some sarcastic comment when Toby himself walked into the room. He stopped at the doorway, one of his axes in his hand, the other hanging at his belt. His eyes flicked around quickly behind the reflective orange goggles, so Clockwork couldn't tell what color they really were. He focused on her and she couldn't read his expression - it was creepy how he always looked like he was smiling with that mask on.

"She's still here." He sounded annoyed. Clockwork narrowed her eyes.

"She's only been here for a night and a day." Pepper said. She narrowed her eyes as well, though rather than hostile she was more puzzled. She was about to ask something but Toby sighed. He tapped one of his fingers on the handle of his hatchet.

"How long is she staying here?" He was talking like she wasn't there at all. Clockwork desperately wanted to stab him but knew Pepper would stop her. Besides, she didn't like how sure the grip on that hatchet was, like he was very, very used to it.

"Until she gets better." There was a tone of annoyance behind Pepper's voice now. "Why?"

"No... real reason..." He said, though he hadn't stopped looking at Clockwork the whole time. The hostility seemed to emanate off of him, rubbing off on Clockwork as well. She suddenly felt very angry towards him.

"You have a problem?" She snapped. His expression didn't change.

"Yes." He said matter-of-factly. "I do." His stance didn't change, but Clockwork could see the sub-conscious movement of his other arm to the second hatchet. She wrapped her hand around the knife in her pocket just in case.

"Clockwork." Pepper warned, noticing. Clockwork shot her a withering look.

"So that's your name, huh?" Toby said coldly. "So you're not creative, either." His arm tensed and for a moment Clockwork thought he was going to throw his hatchet at her, but he only swung it onto his shoulder. "Clockwork..." He mused. "Should have guessed..." His eyes lingered on the clock that ticked away in Clockwork's eye.