Chapter 24: Lulu

"Why do you work for Slender?" Clockwork blurted when Hoody returned. He turned his head towards her very slowly and she regretted the question instantly. Masky - who suddenly seemed very depressed, after what Ash had said about Ann - retreated upstairs without a word.

He didn't answer for a while, but it looked like he was staring at her, with the unblinking, scarlet eyes, so she looked away.

"Reasons." He said carefully, like he was deciding what to tell her. "Why?"

"You'll still work for him after he does that to Toby." Clockwork said, still not looking at him. The words seemed to slip out against her will; she wasn't angry at Hoody, she just felt like venting out on someone.

It wasn't Toby's fault.

Hoody tensed and Pepper's eyes widened.

"Excuse me?"

"Oh, yeah." Clockwork narrowed her eyes, on a roll now. "You weren't here to see it. Does he always interrogate people that harshly? Or just when you're not around?"

Pepper turned into a fox, on accident or intentionally, Clockwork couldn't tell.

"Toby weren't be here if it weren't for Slender." Hoody folded his arms; she could tell she was bothering him, and for some reason she enjoyed it.

"You're not answering my question."

"Look," Hoody said, definitely ticked off at her now. "None of this is your business."

"Why isn't it?" She challenged.

"Why?" Hoody lifted his chin. "So you're good friends with Toby. Awesome! Good for you! That doesn't make every relationship between the proxies and Slender part of your inner circle. So back off, stop poking around places you shouldn't be, and stop thinking you're entitled to information you aren't." He tilted his head. "Is that clear to you?"

It was harder to hold his gaze than she would have imagined; the fact that his mask never blinked was definitely a factor. Clockwork scowled off somewhere else.

Entitled to information you aren't.

Clockwork definitely regretted snapping at him; he was mostly right, so there was really no use to arguing with him.

Hoody was difficult to argue with.

"Yes." She grumbled.

"Good." Hoody said coldly, and without another word he turned and disappeared up the stairs where Masky had gone.

Pepper's amber, fox eyes were as wide as saucers, her tail between her legs. "Stop picking fights with dangerous people!" She whispered loudly. Clockwork glared at her.

"Stop questioning my judgement."

"I'm not questioning your judgement, I'm telling you it's wrong!" She sounded terrified, like Hoody was going to come back downstairs and shoot her.

She felt guilty, but she wasn't about to apologize to him. Part of her still hated him deeply for what he had done to her, even though she'd told him she'd forgiven him.

Pepper jumped up onto the ottoman and settled down, wrapping her tail around her paws. She studied Clockwork carefully.

"You're really upset about the whole Toby thing, aren't you?"

"Yeah." Clockwork stared defiantly to the side, determined not to look Pepper in the face.

"Slender was just angry." Pepper tried. "He probably regrets it."