Chapter 18: Cameron

Clockwork sighed and listened to the calming tick of the clock in her new room. The room she'd be living in for quite a long time. Maybe forever.

Clockwork's room consisted of four pale green walls, a door, a bed, and a clock with childish letters in alternating colors scrawled across the glass. They said "Cameron's Klock", and it belonged to a ghost.

At least, that's what Clockwork thought. When Toby had told Slender she didn't have a room and Slender had offered, she finally gave in and decided to stay here. She was surprised to find that there were actually a whole lot of empty rooms in this house; maybe if Slenderman ever ran out he would just will more to appear.

Clockwork had instantly wanted to sleep in the room with the clock, obviously. She had asked who Cameron was, but Slenderman had tensed up and didn't answer her. He seemed reluctant to let her choose that room, but gave in eventually.

That was when Clockwork got suspicious. It was already creepy enough that Slenderman seemed uncomfortable, but when Clockwork had wanted to take the clock down and align it to her own, it was nailed to the wall.

She could have sworn it wasn't nailed before she tried to move it.

The other creepy thing was that after she confirmed she could not move the clock at all, she realized that it was already matching her own clock's steady rhythm. Perfectly.

The third disturbing thing about the clock was that Clockwork could see it was your classic battery powered kitchen clock, nothing special. But it still ticked good and strong like someone had changed the batteries yesterday.

That was impossible, though, because it was nailed to the wall, you couldn't take it off.

Clockwork hadn't been sure about ghosts. She had suspected for a long time that they existed, but she was never convinced completely.

But she was almost positive that the clock firmly stuck to the wall belonged to one, and whomever Cameron was didn't appreciate people messing with their clock.

Clockwork opened her eyes and looked up at the round shape on the wall, the only other thing on the room besides the bed. Clockwork appreciated the emptiness, though. It had potential. There wasn't a window, which Clockwork also liked. She didn't like windows in her bedroom, it always gave her a feeling she was being watched.

Cameron's Klock...

The words were written in what looked like a mixture of sharpie and washable markers, but it wasn't coming off at all. It also looked like it had been written yesterday.

As Clockwork stared up at the time piece, she thought that maybe it was a clock, but it definitely didn't follow the rules of time.

Cameron...

A soft knock at her open door. Clockwork turned around curiously.

"Hi, Toby."

"Hey." He wasn't looking at her, his eyes were trained on the clock in a similar way they had looked at the storm yesterday: like it worried him. His face mask and goggles were on, the fake smile as terrifying as ever. She really hated that mask...

"So..." Suddenly Clockwork's mind went blank and she had no idea what to say to him. "Um..."

Toby glanced around the room and stepped a little farther into the hallway like he was claustrophobic. "It's so empty in here..."

"I have zero belongings, Toby."

"Yeah but there's not even a window..." He seemed to get more nervous the more he looked at the blank walls so he focused on her instead. "I could never sleep in a room like this."