Chapter 27: Too Clever

She woke up because she was crying.

It confused her at first; she hadn't been dreaming of anything, why was she crying?

Then she felt the pain and continued to cry.

It hurt so much she wished she hadn't woken up at all. Someone stroked her hair back and told her to calm down, but she couldn't really do that when it hurt to breath.

"Shh..." They said. "You're okay now, you don't need to cry..."

Clockwork buried her head in her pillow. So much pain...

"It hurts." She didn't want to complain, but she really didn't care.

"I have pain killers, but I couldn't give them to you unless you were awake."

Clockwork turned her head to the side and forced her eyes open. It wasn't even bright in her room, but Clockwork had been in darkness for so long that she was still temporarily blinded.

When her eyes finally adjusted, she was looking into amber eyes and a foxy smile.

Clockwork smiled back. "Hi Pepper."

"Great, you recognize me!" She sounded excited. "Once, something like this happened to Salty, and he woke up had no idea who I was!"

Clockwork thought it was funny, but she resisted laughing so she wouldn't hurt more.

"Do you want one or two?"

"Hm?"

"Pain killers."

Clockwork sighed. "Two."

Pepper gave her two tiny white pills and she swallowed them without sitting up, so it was kind of difficult.

"How are you feeling?" Pepper asked her.

"Um..." Clockwork's brain seemed to be working at a snail's pace. Maybe slower. "Light headed."

"Thought so." Pepper sighed.

Clockwork closed her eyes, wishing those pain killers would work already. "Where's Toby?"

"Downstairs." Pepper said. "But you're staying up hear for at least another day."

Clockwork sighed. She wished he was here to make her laugh despite how much it would probably hurt if she did.

"What happened?"

"Not exactly sure." Pepper said. "I wasn't there. You could probably ask Hoody, though, once he recovers."

"From what?"

"He got shot."

"He what!?" Clockwork's eyes snapped open. "By who!?"

"Calm down, I don't want you to start bleeding again." Pepper said softly. Clockwork settled back into her pillow. "What's-her-name shot him. He's okay, though, she missed and only hit him in the shoulder."

A gunshot ringing through the forest. A gasp of pain. A scream of frustration.

"So..." Clockwork was still confused. "Did he save me?"

"Him and Masky." Pepper smiled a little. "And Toby."

Toby.

Where is he though? Why isn't he here?

"How did they know?" Clockwork winced with pain.

"Masky and his spider senses." Pepper wiggled her eyebrows. "He noticed you didn't come back."