Chapter 26: Scarlet

Toby was dead.

There was blood everywhere, pooled on the floor, splashed on the walls, somehow it was even on the ceiling. Toby was lying in the middle of it all, his eyes staring blankly onward, blood trickling from his mouth and leaking from the deep gashes all over him. His organs were all over the floor, cut into sections.

Clockwork was horrified. She wanted to vomit but for some reason she couldn't. As she bent over, she suddenly realized that her entire front was covered with blood. Her knives were in her hands, also drenched, and she could see her reflection in the shiny redness. Her single bright green eye, wide with terror and realization. The clock that struggled to tick onward because it was clogged with so much blood. Toby's blood.

"No." She whispered, stumbling away from the gruesome scene. "No!"

Something white fluttered down from the ceiling, and Clockwork's eyes followed it until it gently rested on Toby's chest.

It was a page.

Your fault, it said, with a cross over the O.

It's your fault.

"N-no..." Clockwork stammered. She stumbled back again but hit a wall, and turned around looking for a door, but there was none. There was no exit at all in the room, not a window, not a door, not even an air vent.

Clockwork started to cry. She clawed at the walls but they didn't yield; no secret exit opened up for her.

She heard a faint fluttering sound and she turned around, her vision blurry with tears. Pages were falling from the ceiling, hundreds of them, all with the same message:

Your fault.

Then she realized there wasn't a ceiling, just empty space, with a sky made of turbulent, scarlet colored clouds. Lightning flashed, and the pages started falling faster, like rain.

"It's not my fault!" Clockwork was crying, on her knees, staring at the reflection of her bloody face in the puddle of blood, with the blood clouds swirling above her, making a vortex out of sickening red color and white pages.

The pages landed on top of her, stuck to the blood that coated her skin and her clothes, staining themselves in the never ending red.

So much red.

So much blood.

Your fault.

She was sobbing now, horrible ugly sobs that she hadn't made in a very long time. She thought she heard voices around her, whispering the phrase that the pages said, over and over...

"Your fault."

"It's your fault."

Then she screamed, with pain and misery and horror, as the wind escalated to a howl and the pages surrounded her, suffocating her.

You killed him. You killed him, it's your fault.

Your fault.

Clockwork shot awake, catching herself right before she screamed out loud.

Her heart was beating faster than it ever had, and she was drenched in a cold sweat, tangled up in her bed sheets.

Clockwork felt something wet on her face and for a horrifying moment she thought it was blood, but it was only tears that still poured from her eyes, even if she wasn't really crying.

She wrapped her arms around her knees, and rocked a little, trying to calm herself down.

It was just a dream. It was just a dream. Toby isn't dead. It was just a dream.