Chapter 20: Friends

The proxies, BEN, Jeff, and Pepper were all discussing the best ways to kill someone.

Clockwork had considered joining in several times, but the suggestions they were coming up with were starting to freak her out, and she wasn't exactly sure if they would appreciate one more disturbing image added to the collection.

"Once I saw someone get put into a barrel full of nails and rolled down a hill." Pepper suggested.

"That..." Hoody looked concerned. "I'm not going to ask you where you saw that." She grinned.

"Wise choice."

"I still have no idea how we even got into this conversation in the first place." Toby was upside down in his chair, with his legs dangling off the back of it haphazardly. Masky shrugged.

"Neither do I."

"No I love this topic, please, go on." Jeff said sarcastically. "There's so many different styles, anyway, really it depends if you like screaming or if you like blood or you just like killing people in general."

"You would know." BEN said mischievously. Jeff gave him a death glare.

"Yes." He said coldly. "I would."

BEN held up his hands in surrender and grinned. "I like physiologically ruining them and letting them kill themselves." He said.

"Because you physically cannot kill them otherwise." Hoody pointed out. BEN shot him a dirty look.

"Stop rubbing it in."

"Wait." Clockwork interjected. "Why can't BEN kill people normally?"

"I'm a hologram!" He said with mock cheerfulness. He bowed, his head turning into zeros and ones and going through the table as he did. "I can't touch anything unless it's magical, also holographic, or I focus, really, really hard." He straightened out and his smile vanished. "It kinda sucks."

"I also saw someone get bamboo grown through their back." Pepper added. BEN recoiled and his image flickered a little.

"Pepper!"

"What? I never said I was the one torturing them!"

"It was kind of implied." Hoody said. "But how does that even work? Is the bamboo even sharp enough to do that?"

"It goes right through them, trust me."

"That's... really cool."

"Can you please talk about methods of torture another time?" Jeff asked. BEN shot him a clever look and Jeff returned it with an ice cold one.

"You could also smash their legs in with rocks, I've heard that that works fairly well." BEN suggested, giving Masky a meaningful look. Masky tensed and Jeff rolled his eyes like he didn't care anymore.

"I will find a way to hurt you." Masky hissed.

"Find a holographic rock and beat my head in then, help yourself." BEN grinned and a temper flared behind Masky's eyes.

"Get out."

BEN shrugged and made a sound like a popping speaker as he vanished in a flash of green light. Masky seemed a little surprised, but satisfied.

"Didn't actually think he'd leave..." He muttered to himself. Hoody patted his head and Masky gave him such a cold look Clockwork thought the temperature actually dropped a few degrees.

"There, there, little masked friend."

"I hate you."

"Bruh!" Hoody must have smiled, but his mask was on, so Clockwork could never tell. Masky made a sound that almost sounded like a growl and sank into the shadows. He stalked away from the table, and Clockwork could see the slight limp that he always walked with was a little more prominent today.