61. Rehabilitation

Start from the beginning

"Obviously, you already know it would have torn me apart to lose you, not to mention your parents and your sister. But remember how pissed I was when we couldn't save that teenage boy who had been in that big car accident? Do you remember how he died?" 

"Yeah," he whispered. "He was killed by a drunk driver." That seemed to unleash more sorrow. His chest started heaving with sobs. "God, Ellie, I could have killed someone. How could I have been so stupid?" He was gasping for breath and I tried to get him to relax. 

"Sssh," I said. "I know you feel awful about everything. But eventually, you have to stop beating yourself up. You can't change the past. You can only change how you choose to face the future."

We sat there together, just holding each other for a long while until Harry's phone buzzed. It was easier for me to grab it than Harry so I answered with, "Hello, this is Ellie." 

"Ellie? Are you...Is Harry there?" Asked a confused voice on the other end. 

"Sure, I'm sorry. Here he is."

It was a brief conversation, but I gathered that the person he had spoken to was coming over soon. "Who was it?" I asked as soon as the call ended.

"A guy named Kurt. From AA." He didn't offer more right away and I didn't ask. A few minutes later, he said, "I should put a shirt on." 

"Okay? Mind if I ask what's going on?" I said, getting up to find a t-shirt and some athletic shorts. 

"He's coming over," Harry replied, confirming what I had thought. "He's probably going to kick my ass." 

I pulled the covers back and helped Harry to the edge of the bed. I gently pushed one arm hole up to his shoulder on the side where he'd broken his collarbone. Then I pulled it over his head where he grabbed the other arm hole with his right hand and shoved it through. Then I held his shorts out for him to put both legs through. Finally, I helped him put his arm back in the sling to immobilize his collarbone as much as possible.

"I thought you were trying to get me out of my pants, Jansen. Now you're trying to put them back on?"

I looked up at him and blew out a laugh. "Shut up and let me do this." I tugged the shorts up his long legs and then told him to lift his backside so I could pull them up. The wheelchair was still parked close by, so he made the transfer easily. Before pushing him out the living room, I leaned and whispered in his ear, "I will gladly get into your pants whenever you feel up for it. Innuendo intended." 

I loved that I could make Harry laugh so hard that his face crinkled up like a little kid's. I pushed him out to the living room to await his guest. It wasn't long before the doorbell rang. 

"Wow, he must live close," I remarked, walking towards the door. "Hello," I said to the man standing at the door once I pulled it open. He was not much taller than me, with sandy blonde hair that was just starting to show a few streaks of gray. He certainly didn't look like the kind of guy who would yell at Harry or "kick his ass" as he'd worried. "Come on in. I'm Ellie." 

"I'm Kurt," he grinned as I closed the door behind him. He went straight to Harry and to my surprise, he hugged him, gingerly, of course. Then he sat down across from the wheelchair and said, "Wow, Harry. I'm so sorry. You really took a beating, didn't you?" 

I went to the kitchen to pour three glasses of iced tea, still listening. When I returned with the drinks, I asked, "Do you two want to talk alone, or...?"

"No, baby," Harry said. "No, sit down here with us. I'm not keeping anything from you. After all, you're almost my wife." He proudly picked up my hand and showed Kurt the ring. 

"Oh my gosh, that's amazing," Kurt gushed. "When did this happen?" 

"The night of the crash," I answered. "In the ICU."

Kurt's eyes widened and then said to Harry, "Most guys want to come up with a memorable way to propose, but I've never heard of a car crash before. She definitely won't forget that." 

Laughter descended like a warm blanket over us. Then Harry spoke up. "I thought you were coming over to yell at me." 

"Why?" Kurt asked in surprise. "Because you were driving drunk?" 

"Yeah," Harry replied, looking down at his knees. 

"Well, that's not at all the reason I came. I found out my buddy had gotten messed up in an accident and I wanted to see him." Harry smiled in relief. "I'm disappointed to find out you were drunk, but I'm not your dad, so I'm not going to yell at you about it." 

"It was stupid," Harry said, putting his head in his hands. "So fucking stupid." 

"Yeah, it was," Kurt said. "But what's done is done. You don't need to keep beating yourself up for it." 

"See?" I jumped in. "I was just telling him that."

"It's true," he said to me and then looked back at Harry. "Now you have to take an honest look at where you went wrong and how. And then ask for help to not make the same mistake. You know Ellie and I will help you, so that's a start. Ted and Donovan back at AA, they'd support you, man. Make yourself accountable and ask for help when you're struggling." 

Harry nodded although he still looked ashamed. "Babe, look at me," I said, touching his chin. "It doesn't make you weak to ask for help. Not at all." 

"You've got a good woman here, Harry," Kurt said. 

"I know," he said, grinning widely at me. 

Kurt stayed a little longer and gave Harry a pep talk, ending with how grateful he was that Harry was okay. "I don't want to lose you, man," were his last words. 

I helped Harry get back into bed after Kurt left. I curled up beside him and before we both fell asleep, Harry said, "You're amazing, Ell. I'm not sure how you've stuck with me, but I'm glad you did." 

"I'll tell you something. I'm not perfect, and one day, I'll be the one making mistakes and falling apart, and I hope you'll do the same for me."

"You got it," he said, kissing my forehead and drifting off.

* * * * *

DO is #8 today! We're in the top ten! I'll sound like a broken record, but I owe it all to you, my fabulous readers! xoxo