31. Residual Pain

Bright and early, 7:00 AM, I was ready to start the day shift, stethoscope around my neck, phone clipped to my scrubs, badge at my chest

Bright and early, 7:00 AM, I was ready to start the day shift, stethoscope around my neck, phone clipped to my scrubs, badge at my chest. I walked out of the locker room to report, but I had a sad realization - I would have to build all new friendships during this shift. I was seriously starting to get bummed out, but then I heard a familiar voice. "Since when do you work days?" 

I turned and found Ian standing inches from me. I secretly cheered, but I calmly said, "I can't believe I forgot to tell you. I got switched for now. Nights were...well, let's just say they weren't working out for me."

"I'm guessing that had something to do with Dr. Styles," he said, fighting off a smirk.

"Don't be silly," I laughed a little too loudly. "Give me the rundown on the best residents to work with and other nurses to watch out for," I said in a much quieter voice. 

He whispered into my ear, pretending to be secretive, but he simply said, "Just be yourself and everyone will love you."

The day shift was a noticeable contrast to the night shift. The daytime patients seemed more orderly, more collected maybe, and just a little less insane. The night shift seemed to lure all the crazies in at once. Of course, it was fun to work alongside Ian; not literally, but we definitely interfaced more often than I had ever done with Harry during the night shift.

Afterwards, I had just clocked out and was getting ready to leave when he walked in. Harry.

"Hello, Ms. Jansen," he said. "Getting ready for tonight?" 

"No," I said happily. "As a matter of fact, my shift is just ending. See you later." And I walked out with a huge grin on my face.

Ian asked me out again, so here I was, standing in front of the mirror in my room, contemplating which outfit to wear. He hadn't given me a clue this time, so I was hoping "upper casual" was still a good bet. The weather had started to cool off a little, so I decided it was time to retire my most summery clothes for the season. I dug out one of my favorite sweaters to pair with a plain t-shirt and jeans. I'd wear nicer shoes so I wasn't too under-dressed. 

This time, Ian came to my door holding a bouquet of my favorite flowers.

"I love Gerber daisies," I gushed, carrying them to the kitchen to put them into mason jar. "You didn't have to," I told him. "But thank you, they're lovely. A nice burst of color before everything starts dying."

"You're welcome," he replied. "So, you liked Greek food. Do you think you'll like Mediterranean?"

"Um, yeah, sure," I said, feeling adventurous.

"All right. The Purple Pig it is!"

"The Purple Pig?" I said, laughing as I put on my sweater. "Sounds like a place on Sesame Street." 

"Oh, no, my dear Ellie," Ian said smoothly. "It's much more sophisticated than it sounds. A culinary adventure awaits." I giggled and accepted his arm as we made our way to his car.