29. The Recovery Period

Waking up early the following day, I drove out toward the west suburbs of Berwyn, Oak Park, Cicero, because I had heard from Bridget that there were great second hand stores out that way

Waking up early the following day, I drove out toward the west suburbs of Berwyn, Oak Park, Cicero, because I had heard from Bridget that there were great second hand stores out that way. I invited her to come along, but she had promised to bring a friend to an appointment, so I was all by my lonesome for the day, which surprisingly didn't bother me too much. Being an extrovert, I loved the company of others, but I was comfortable with myself as well. I didn't need anyone else in order to have fun, not even a girlfriend.

And especially not a man.

I was totally in my element in these off-the-beaten-path shops. I found old magazine racks, picture frames, an old mirror, and a huge variety of other items. My cart was full to almost overflowing. Then I noticed a gigantic collection of old jewelry, most of it outdated or broken, but I found that to be the perfect situation - cheap pieces, cool stones and charms, and I could remake them into something I'd be happy to wear with something in my multi-colored wardrobe. 

After a long while, I was beginning to get hungry for lunch. I headed to the check out, but I was stopped by a beautiful mosaic table. I remembered Bridget saying she was into clay and mosaics. I would have to ask her to show me how to do them some time. I finally reached the register where a young guy, whom I assumed was meant to be tending the till, was engrossed in a conversation on his phone, his back facing me. I cleared my throat, and I was stunned when I recognized the person who turned around. 

"Ian!" I said in surprise. 

"Oh, hey, Ellie," he grinned. "How're you doing?"

"Great! This is a fantastic little place. So, are you not working at the hospital anymore?" I asked, nodding to his employee apron. 

"Yeah, yeah, I'm still a slave there, too, but this is my mom's place. I help her out once in a while when she needs to run errands or whatever, when I'm not at the hospital, obviously."

"Oh, that's nice," I commented while I finished piling my purchases on the counter. "You live out here then?" 

"Cicero," he answered. 

"Aah," I nodded. "So you're familiar with the area. I'm looking for a place to eat lunch, but I don't want fast food." 

"Oh!" He said excitedly. "Pete's, you have to go to Pete's! It's over in Oak Park. Best gyros ever!" 

"Well, that sounds like the place I need to try then," I laughed, noting his enthusiasm. 

Just then the bell rang, signaling that someone was entering the shop. "Hey, Ma," Ian called. 

"You can take off now," she said, dropping her packages behind the counter. I detected an accent, but couldn't quite tell where it was from. "Thanks for looking after the place." 

"Oh, Ma, this is Ellie. She works at CMI, too."

"Nice to meet you, Ellie," she said with that thick inflection in her words. Italian, maybe?