27. Heart Attack

I was overcome by an unexpected sadness when I entered my apartment and there was no friendly kitty to greet me

I was overcome by an unexpected sadness when I entered my apartment and there was no friendly kitty to greet me. I knew she would be happy at my parents' house, and she would finally be able to go outside. But I did it for Harry, and I knew he would be grateful to not have to dope up on antihistamines just to hang out with me. 

I wasn't sure what to do. Despite my repeated attempts yesterday, and a call and text this morning, I still hadn't heard from him. I was worried, and all of the possibilities were disturbing on some level. Had he drunk so much that he passed out all weekend? Was he embarrassed to admit it to me? Had he gone out with friends and crashed somewhere else?

It was close to ten in the morning, certainly a reasonable time to check in on him. Carefully gathering my courage, not knowing what I might face, I grabbed the CDs I had bought for him and took the elevator to the penthouse. I had to be sure not to approach him on the offensive because he hadn't actually done anything wrong, but part of me just wanted to launch into a do-you-know-how-worried-I've-been tirade. 

Taking a deep breath, I rang the bell and waited patiently. It felt odd approaching his door this way. He usually knew if I was coming up, or else we were together when we went to his place. I heard movement, but I had to ring again before the door was opened.

I was unprepared to come face to face with a woman who looked very familiar. "Hi, I'm Ellie," I said cheerfully, thinking at first that she was his sister. "You must be-" But I stopped cold when I realized exactly who she was and that she was wearing one of Harry's dress shirts, unbuttoned low enough to reveal a skimpy tank top. Her bottom half was covered, just barely, by tight yoga shorts. 

"I'm Logan," she said, with not even a hint of reciprocating the smile. 

Just then, Harry stepped into view and his face very clearly declared his shock at seeing me so early in the day, his jaw dropping as if the hinges were broken. I had told him I'd be back later in the evening. 

"Ellie," he said guardedly, and took a step forward.

I held up my hand. "Don't!" I spun around and walked through the doorway of the stairwell so I wouldn't have to stand there in my humiliation while I waited for the elevator. Once the door closed behind me, I raced down the stairs, almost tripping and falling, trying to get away as fast and far as possible. It wasn't until I crashed through my apartment door and locked myself securely inside that I started bawling like a baby.

What the hell? Logan was back, and he didn't even bother to tell me? At the very least, I deserved a phone call saying, "I'm really sorry, Ellie, but...." How long had she been around, or was he fucking two-timing me all along?! No wonder he didn't want to come up north with me!

I couldn't even think straight except to grab my things and jump in my car, which hadn't even cooled off from my earlier drive. I showed up at Bridget's door, unannounced and pounded in desperation. She called out groggily, "Wait a second!" Then I heard her fumbling at the door and I realized she had only gotten off the night shift a few hours earlier.