60. Surgical Procedures

"I had planned on doing this in a much nicer way, but maybe that doesn't matter anymore

"I had planned on doing this in a much nicer way, but maybe that doesn't matter anymore. What matters now is that I've found the love of my life and I intend to spend my life showing you how grateful I am for that. Never in my life have I been so sure of what I wanted, and all that I want is for you, Elloise Jansen, to be my wife."  

I blinked several times before I found my voice. "I...I don't know what to say." My heart was leaping out of my chest and I wanted to scream yes at the top of my lungs. But I was tongue-tied, certainly not expecting him to propose in the ICU.

Disappointment began to settle over him. I leaned in and ghosted my fingers over his bruised face. "Yes, Harry, of course I'll marry you." His face relaxed again and a giddy sigh came from inside him. I held out my hand for him to slide the ring onto my finger. It was a beautiful antique gold ring with a Marquise cut diamond, surrounded by a halo of smaller diamonds. Smaller diamonds yet studded the band. 

"It's amazing," I said, blinking furiously again, trying not to let my happy tears cloud my vision. "I love you so much." I leaned in further and kissed him tenderly. 

"I love you, too," he said, sighing. I could tell he was exhausted. But that didn't stop him from going on. "I'm just so sorry....I know, you told me to stop saying that. I just want you to know that I'm going to focus on the right things now, I'm going to follow the twelves steps, I'm going-"

"Shh, Harry, stop," I said calmly. "You can tell me all about it after you've had a chance to rest. But can I just ask you one question." 

"Yeah?" 

"You told me all about when the drinking started, but have you ever driven while you were drunk before. Because I don't think I could handle-"

"No, baby, no!" He interjected. "I promise you. I don't know what came over me, honestly. That was the first and last time, I swear." He was getting worked up again with all the things he wanted to tell me building inside of him.

"Okay, calm down, babe, just shhh. I believe you, so let's save the rest til you're feeling better. Bridget and Ian are here, too. Can they come say hi really quick before you sleep?"

"Sure," he said, sounding surprised that he had more visitors, especially when he had been feeling like they were on "my side" just a few days ago.

Normally, the number of visitors is strictly limited in the ICU, but I knew that most places would bend the rules from time to time. I found the charge nurse and said, "I have two friends with me who would like to see Dr. Styles. We're all nurses, so we know how important it is to keep a peaceful environment. Can they-"

She didn't even let me finish. "Of course they can. Just not for too long."

I went to the lounge and beckoned Bridget and Ian. They followed me silently to Harry's room. 

"Hey," Bridget gushed upon seeing the state Harry was in. She simply leaned in and kissed his forehead, undoubtedly trying not to inflict any further pain on him. "I'm so glad you're okay. I mean, if you consider this okay," she teased. I could tell she was emotional and this was her way of not losing control.