50. Christmas

I was heading home after my shift on Christmas Eve

I was heading home after my shift on Christmas Eve. Harry threw his weight around a little and managed to get Christmas Day off for me, which was unheard of for someone as new as I was. I would also have New Years Eve off, but I did offer to do the night shift on New Year's Night as a show of good will. I didn't want my co-workers pissed at me for getting such a "lucky" break. We decided to celebrate Christmas Eve with Harry's parents, Christmas Day at home together, and then my parents would come down to see us for the New Year. It worked out perfectly all around. I was willing to bet we would have made an effort to spend more time with Harry's family if Gemma was coming, but she and Aiden were celebrating with his parents in Arizona. 

When I returned to the penthouse, I saw that Harry had gifts piled high under the tree, our  tree that we had picked out and decorated together. We had decorated a themed tree in his apartment, with silvers, golds, and splashes of royal blue. It was a fine, fat tree that glowed warmly through his window to the street below. We had even gone out to the snow-covered beach after we finished it, to see the effect, agreeing that it was stunning, shining out from the top floor of the building. My apartment had a simpler tree, decorated with keepsakes, hand-made ornaments, and meaningful trinkets. 

"Harry," I scolded him. "Those aren't all for me, are they?"

The corner of his mouth pulled into a smirk. "Maybe." 

"I only got a few things for you," I pouted.

He hugged me to himself warmly. "Baby, you know I don't care about that. I just want to spoil you a little. I want to show you how much I appreciate you." 

"Thanks, babe," I said, pushing up on my toes to kiss him.

"Of course, a few are for my family, which we'll bring tonight. And the package your parents sent arrived. I hope it's okay that I opened it and put the presents under the tree." 

"That's fine," I smiled. "I hope they don't mind that I'm just saving theirs for when they get here next week."

I walked over to inspect the mound of gifts beneath the tree. I picked one up and shook it a little. Harry came up behind me and laced his arms around my waist, resting his chin on my shoulder. "What are you doing?" He said in an accusing tone of voice.

"Trying to guess," I giggled. 

His tiny huff of laughter sent his warm breath skimming across my cheek. "I have one thing I'd like you to open."

"Goodie!" I squealed like a little kid. 

He let go of me and found a small box from a very specific spot under the tree. It was wrapped in whites and blues, which I much preferred over the traditional reds and greens. A graceful silver bow adorned the top. 

"It's too pretty to open," I said in awe. 

"No, it's not," he argued with a grin on his face.

I unwrapped slowly and carefully. I then opened the box to reveal a diamond infinity heart necklace. I looked up at Harry with grateful eyes. "It's gorgeous," I whispered reverently.