15. Social Drinker

Meg and Aaliyah arrived shortly before noon the following morning

Meg and Aaliyah arrived shortly before noon the following morning. I was glad I'd slept in, because there was no way I was grabbing another nap before my shift started at 7:00 tonight. We all greeted each other with squeals and ooh's and aah's over each other's hair, clothes, etc. I hadn't realized how much I'd missed them until they walked in my door.

"Come in, come in," I said, tugging their suitcases inside. "There's a guest room with a twin bed, the couch, or you can all camp out in my room. I won't need the bed tonight anyway."

"Camp out," they said in unison.

"All right," I grinned, showing them to my room, and then giving them a tour of my apartment.

"You still decorate like a hillbilly," Aaliyah said.

I whipped around and looked at her with my eyebrows furrowed. "What did you say?"

Aaliyah put her hands up in defense, saying, "Whoa, back off, girl. You know I was only joking."

"I know," I said, letting out a small sigh. "Someone just called me that recently and I got a little sensitive about it."

Megan piped up. "You want me to bust her face?" We all laughed maniacally. It was a running joke between us. Normally, none of us would even hurt a fly but we were also fiercely loyal to each other, and none of us would hesitate to knock someone's block off if they hurt one of our friends.

"It's his face," I emphasized. "And no, I quite like his face." That statement, along with the pink creeping onto my face, told them that we had a lot to catch up on.

They froze, hands on hips, giving me the look that said, "Spill!"

I ignored them and went to the kitchen to make some chicken salad sandwiches for lunch. That was one of our favorite meals, chicken salad on croissants, served with pickles and chips, in true Wisconsin fashion.

"Seriously, Ellie, you've been holding out on us," Megan whined impatiently. Then she asked Aaliyah, "Did you know about him?" Aaliyah shook her head in dismay, indicating  that I hadn't told her anything. 

"There's nothing to know about us," I said, trying to downplay it. "He's just a friend."

"Uh-uh, girl! Back up the denial train," she replied. "We saw the look in your eyes when you said, I quite like his face. There's serious crushing going on here, at the very least."

"Okay," I said, rolling my eyes, as if I didn't really want to tell them all about him. But I did and they knew it. "But it's just a crush. He's a doctor I work with and he's maddeningly handsome. It's like I can't even describe his looks because I've never met anyone so ridiculously sexy before in my life. But he's kind of reserved and a little critical. Well, he was a lot critical when I first started. Our personalities are different, for sure, but even so, for some reason, we kind of clicked."