9. Unexpected

"Hey," I said, trying to sound casual

"Hey," I said, trying to sound casual. "What are you doing here?"

Once again, he looked like a Greek God, his darkened skin glowing under his summery attire, hair hanging loose around his shoulders. When he pushed his Ray-Bans up onto his head, his eyes arrested me. Ours were technically the same color, but his eyes reminded me of a lush, dense jungle with little bits of sunshine piercing through the treetops. Mine were a bit more on the blue side, but they had definite hues of green as well.

He smiled, stopping my heart, but at the same time, making it feel like it would burst from my chest. "I just saw you walking out here, so I thought I'd stop and say hello."

"All right," I nodded, sliding my feet into my flip flops. "You must live nearby then."

"Well, I haven't been entirely honest with you," he said. 

"About what?" I laughed, trying to calm my nerves. He was weirding me out a little. Was he going to stalk me just like my ex-boyfriend did?

"Actually, um, I do live nearby," he said, sounding nervous as well. "In fact, I live in that building right there," he said, pointing to my apartment building.

I glanced and then looked back at him. "Huh," I said, trying to keep my cool, although my insides were squirming with excitement. "We live in the same building. Why is that dishonest?"

"You told me you were moving here and I guess I should have told you I lived here, too."

"Well, yes," I agreed. "I guess it would have been nice to know we were going to be neighbors, but don't worry about it. I know now." I grinned at him, further trying to convince him that it wasn't a big deal, even though I did kind of wonder why he hadn't mentioned it when I first told him I was moving there.

We started walking towards our building. When we went to cross Lakeshore Drive, which can be busy on occasion, Dr. Styles let his hand gently rest on my lower back, communicating some sort of protectiveness. I thought it was sweet.

"So, now what?" I asked, trying to get him to lighten up. "We can get together and play bridge with some friends? Barbecue together every weekend? You can borrow a cup of sugar any time you want to."

His face relaxed into a smile again, crinkling the skin around his eyes and pushing his delightful dimple into place. "I'll keep that in mind."

We approached the building and the doorman, whose name I'd learned was Walter Overton, opened the door for us. "Good afternoon, Walter," I smiled. "The sun is gorgeous out there. Make sure you take some time to get some on your face before it sets."

"Thank you, Ms. Ellie," he said, and then he turned to Harry. "How are you today, Dr. Styles?"

"Fine, thank you," he answered formally. As we walked toward the elevator, he said, "You're on a first-name basis with the doorman?"