Chapter Six

At the end of the lesson, I felt nothing but relief that I had made it through. There were a few times I nearly ran straight for the door, but every time I looked at it, I saw Harrison in my eye line, giving a slight shake of his head.

I gathered up all of my books at the end of the day and started to head out of the class. But before I could even get near the door, I heard him call my name, just like he had at the end of yesterdays class. I cursed under my breath and swung around to face him.

"Less of the anger and the curse words Mr Woods."

I glared at him. I didn't like the way he had called me Noah earlier. I didn't like the way it made me feel. It made me feel like maybe, just maybe, I was a person who deserved to be called by their first name. So the fact he had went back to using my surname irked me.

"What do you want this time White? Why don't you just leave me alone huh?"

I watched as he stuck his hands in his pant pockets, making my eyes linger on his crotch area for just a second. I soon realised my mistake when he noticed and stared at the floor instead, waiting for him to speak.

"I just wanted to remind you about tonight."

This made me look back up in alarm.

"Huh?"

He walked over to his desk and sat down on it, swinging his legs. It annoyed me when he did that. He seemed so happy and carefree. Everything about him set me on edge and it was a horrible feeling.

"Ah. And here was me counting down every second until we saw each other again. It sounds to me you're not as excited as I am."

I raised an eyebrow in question but kept my mouth firmly shut. He sighed and shook his head.

"It's Tuesday. I told you when we first met that I would pop over at least once a week on a Tuesday to discuss things and see how you are getting on."

I remembered now. I continued my steely gaze as I answered him back.

"We can skip it. Nothing to discuss."

Now it was Whites turn to raise an eyebrow as he looked me up and down.

"The meetings are non-negotiable I'm afraid. And if there is nothing to discuss then we will be done nice and quick won't we?"

I sighed again and cursed. I couldn't help it. He just made me want to swear a lot. I had the sudden realization that he was the first thing or person that had made me feel any sort of emotion other than sheer terror for twelve long years.

He hopped off the desk and walked over to the now closed door, opening it wide for me with a smile on his face.

"You really need to work on your social skills. You talk so much I can't even get a word in. You must love the sound of your own voice."

I threw him a filthy look as I thundered past him. I wasn't going to give him the satisfaction of a reply. I stepped out of the classroom, into the now deserted corridor.

"Mr Woods?"

I groaned.

"What now?"

I almost spat at him as he stood there beaming at me. He shrugged coyly and looked me up and down again. His eyes lingered on me now, making me feel self-conscious. I ran a hand through my hair, waiting for him to speak.

"I was just going to say how nice you look today. The clothes were a good fit."

My jaw fell open in shock as I looked at him. I couldn't figure out if he was being serious. He smiled kindly and then shut the door, leaving me standing there bewildered. On my way home, I couldn't stop thinking about it. I tried to remember the last time I had a compliment and I knew it was when my Mum was alive. She died fourteen years ago. I didn't know how to react to Whites comment.