14- Surprise for Annabeth

*Set after the Giant War*

Percy took a deep breath. He was nervous beyond belief. Sure, he'd faced Kronos and Gaea and Tartarus and basically every monster in existence, but this was different. He'd known what to do then. With this, he had no idea how to begin, or end, or anything in between. He'd just have to wait for it to play out on its own.

Being ADHD and a demigod, sitting back and waiting was not his strong point.

Of course, he'd shown Paul and his mom already, and it had gone over pretty well with them, and he was old enough now, having turned 18 two days ago, but still. If this didn't go well, he was pretty much screwed for life.

"Perce? You okay?" Jason asked, snapping Percy out of his thoughts. Percy smiled.

"Yeah, of course! A whole day at the beach with my family? What could be better?"

And it was true. Once Poseidon had helped him get over his fear of drowning, he'd grown to love the water even more than before. But this time was different. This time, everyone—

"We're here!" Hazel announced, pointing towards the shimmering blue strip of water that had appeared. After Jason had parked the car and everyone (which meant the Seven, plus Nico, Will and Calypso) had grabbed their stuff, they all walked to the beach.

After they laid out their towels, the boys tore off their shirts and ran to the water, jumping in with a loud whoop of delight. The girls wriggled out of their cover-ups and followed suit, a little more quietly than the males.

It was August, but the beach was practically empty, owing to a massive concert of some band or another that day. The water was the perfect temperature, and there was barely a cloud in the sky.

Everyone joined in passing a volleyball around, with much splashing and giggling.

After a while, Percy got hungry, so he waded out of the water and headed towards his towel, and Calypso's picnic basket. He hadn't gone ten steps, however, when the volleyball hit his shoulder with incredible force, so much that it made him stumble a little. It bounced away, leaving an angry, stinging welt that was sure to bruise later on.

"Ow!" he yelped, and turned around, only to see a murderous-looking Annabeth storming after him.

"PERCY!" she yelled, so loud that it startled the others, who were still in the water. Percy scrambled away, backing up against a beach umbrella.

"What?" he mumbled, trying not to show his face too much.

So she'd noticed.

Annabeth advanced on him, breathing hard.

"Perseus. Freaking. Jackson!" she shouted. "What kind of idiotic moron would do something like that?! I can't believe you! What were you thinking?!" She was starting to smile, Percy saw, but she still looked mad. Was it possible to smile and frown at the same time? Annabeth pulled it off, and looked pretty good doing it.

She was, however, still yelling at him, which wasn't a good thing.

The rest of the group, hearing Annabeth yelling, splashed out of the water and ran up the beach.

"What's wrong? What happened?" Piper asked. Annabeth, still mad, but now tearing up as well as smiling, gestured wordlessly to Percy.

"What'd you do, man?" Leo asked nervously. Percy gave a small smile, the slowly turned around.

Everyone gasped and smiled when they saw the small, intricate grey owl tattooed in the center of his lower back.

I'm in love with this one. It's just so fluffy adorable at the end!

...I probably shouldn't be praising my own work.

...

Oh well!

Also, I know it's not Percy's birthday, but they were in swimsuits, so I used the picture.

Please comment, vote, message me, do whatever else, and let me know what you think!

Zàijiàn!

-Sara