09 - Invasion of Konoha

Chapter 9

***

After the preliminaries, the Genins’ were given a month to prepare for the upcoming matches. I watched as they were told to pick the opponents; at least that’s what it looked like. It was randomized, so I can’t exactly say they chose their opponents. Naruto was up against Hyuga Neji, the same guy who severely hurt Hinata. I didn’t really care about the rest, except for one other match up; Uchiha Sasuke vs. Gaara.

I had seen Gaara; a red haired boy that was probably older than me. He scared me, and not in the way that the rest of the people scared me. He looked like he wouldn’t think twice about killing someone. He looked like…

“Ririn-chan??” I look up to find Sakura staring down at me. “What’re you doing, it’s time to leave” I looked back at the house, Kakashi hadn’t been home in a while, of course I wondered why, he was supposed to take me to the final matches that day, but instead I was stuck with the suddenly short haired Sakura.

Knowing that Sakura probably wouldn’t have let me stay by myself, I had no choice but to follow her; I had no idea that I would regret that choice.

We arrived at the stadium with time to spare; I sat by Sakura, who sat by Ino. They acted like rivals, but something told me otherwise; they knew too much about each other. I didn’t really pay attention at that time, but now that I think about it, they sounded too close to be just rivals.

Apparently they were fighting over Sasuke who barely even noticed either one of them.

An explosion pulled me out of my thinking trance; Naruto had just entered the stage and was making a big about some bulls chasing him or something like that. Either way, he was soon silenced and a few minutes later the matches began.

***

The first match; Naruto vs. Neji ended in Neji’s loss, much to the surprise of practically everybody there. The next match; Sasuke vs. Gaara, and the match I actually wanted to watch ended up being delayed and postponed. The crowd wasn’t so happy about that and I learned that almost all of the people there only came for that one match.

Instead, the next matches were to start. They called for the next group, but one of the people forfeited, and so the next match started. A blonde girl with a large fan landed in the middle of the stage, startling me. A few minutes later, a boy with black hair in a ponytail dropped and landed in a weird position on his back/neck. From then on, I didn’t really watch. Well, I did watch, but that information wasn’t important enough for me to remember so I’ll skip it.

That was the last battle before I would regret coming to the Chunin exams. After waiting some more, Sasuke and Kakashi finally appeared on stage. I remember thinking that at least I had found Kakashi.

So, finally, the match everyone had been waiting for, Sasuke vs. Gaara. I really hoped Sasuke didn’t get seriously hurt; he had been my only ‘friend’. I had heard the term being used, but I had no idea how to really use it. I also remember thinking that after the match, I would ask Sasuke what a friend was.

All I remember now is that, the time never came.

***

The match had been going on for quite some time; at least, that’s what it felt like. I was quickly getting anxious and scared, though that was somewhat tamed by Kakashi’s mere presence, but as usual, that would never be enough.

I’m not even sure how it started, all I know is that when I finally started paying attention again, there were three enormous snakes and they were attacking Konoha. There were people everywhere, fighting and getting killed. I stayed frozen, hoping that it was just a dream and that I would wake up soon. Of course, deep down, I knew it was real and that my time in Konoha was dimming. I knew that sooner or later, I would have to leave, I just didn’t know it would be this soon, and that it would start with the invasion of Konoha.

I had no idea what was going on. It seemed as if people were asleep all around me, but then again, I could’ve been wrong. My anthrophobia had resurfaced quite suddenly, and I was finding myself feeling the immense urge to run, but where would I go?? I couldn’t find Kakashi; in fact I couldn’t find anyone I knew.

So, doing what I knew best; I ran. I ran until my legs could carry me no further. I ran till I was almost past the snakes, which were now down to two. During that time, I acquired a few scratches that stained my new white dress; crimson blood that would follow me for a lifetime, even when the scars heal.

Suddenly I felt my weight being lifted. Before I could properly react, I was put down far away from the battles. In front of me was Kakashi looking worried. “Go home; it’s dangerous here”

I couldn’t argue with that, I was already more scared than I had ever been in the possibly eleven years life, and staying here would only make it worse. I hurried home as fast as I could, only to find that home wasn’t so safe after all. I had nowhere to go, and nothing significant to do, so I hid from anyone and everyone.

My hiding would only get me so far, after all, there are always time where you see things you were never meant to see, and hear things you were never meant to hear, for everyone has secrets, and everyone lies, and when you combine the two, nothing good can come out of it. Secrets and Lies were never meant to be good things.