8~ Misery Business

"No, Dad. I don't see any." I searched the isle again for my dad's favorite magazine. He was quiet on the other side of the phone for a moment before he responded.

"What am I supposed to give Logan? He won't stop crying, Faith. Even when I put the pacifier in his mouth and. . ." I sighed, pushing the cart further down the isle.

"Did you give him anything to eat? To drink?"

"Milk and. . . that crappy food you buy for him. It's not helping, he won't stop crying." He replied, and I could hear just how exhausted he was.

"Is he running a fever?" I heard shuffling and then the sound of my son screaming.

"No." I rubbed my face, ignoring the strange look I was getting from a few other people in the isle.

"Give him the phone." I finally said. My dad started to say something but stopped mid sentence and said something to Logan.

"Mama?" I could feel my stomach churn at how sad he sounded, disgusted in myself for not being there.

"Hi, Monkey. Why are you crying?"

"I want Mama." He whimpered.

"Baby, I'm at the store. I'm buying food. I promise I'll be home as soon as I can." He was quiet before I heard the sound of my dad's voice again.

"You aren't going to believe this, Faith. He stopped crying. Your voice. .. it's like magic." I laughed at my dad before glancing back down the isle.

"I've got to finish up here, Dad. I'll see you in a few." I hung up my phone and dropped it into my purse before turning around and nearly running into someone. I recognized her but couldn't quite place where I knew her from.

"I'm so sorry, Ma'am. I didn't mean to run into you." I said quickly, moving the cart out of the way so another person could get by. The woman pushed her graying black hair out of her eyes and shook her head.

"It's really no problem, dear. I should have been watching as well." She finally replied, her eyes darting to my cart.

"You have a little one at home?" She asked, seeing the box of blocks and the dippers I had bought.

"Yes. I'm sorry again." I started to push the cart away but she called after me, making me stop where I stood.

"Faith!" She called after me. I whirled around to face her, my mouth hanging open.

"H. . . how do you know my name?"

"Your father, he's the Sheriff, right?" I nodded, finally realizing where I knew her from. She was the woman from church, she must be friends with my dad. It wasn't strange that she knew my name.

"Could you mention to him that Alaina wants to speak with him?" The woman asked, avoiding my eyes. I nodded slowly, starting to push my cart further down the isle.

"Alaina what? Will he know who you are?" The woman stared at me for a long minute before shutting her eyes and turning away.

"Yes, sweetie. He'll know exactly who I am."

***

I shut the door gently behind me, carrying the groceries to the table.

"Hey, honey." My dad said, wiping his hands on the apron around his neck. I raised an eyebrow and gestured to what he was wearing.

"Trying to cook, Dad?" He grinned.

"Yes, I am. I can't always rely on you being here to cook for me. Plus, Logan wanted to make cupcakes." I followed my dad into the kitchen and found Logan on the counter, completely coated in sugar and cake batter.