6~ Home

"Miss Miller, if you feel my class is boring maybe you should head to detention." I looked up at Mr. Collins, my eyes widening a little. I must have been dozing off again. I had been all day since I had been awake with Logan almost all night because he wouldn't stop crying.

"Sorry sir. It won't happen again." I replied quietly, sitting up straighter. I felt someone kick the back of my chair and found Lucas and June both looking at me worriedly.

"You okay?" June whispered. I nodded, giving her a half smile. I turned back toward the front of the classroom, watching Mr. Collins without hearing a word he was saying. I knew for a fact in that moment, that this was going to be a long day.

***

"Hey, Faith!" I stopped dead in my tracks and turned to face Lucas, yawning. He was holding keys in his hand, waving them in front of my face.

"You might need these." I snatched them from him, thanking him under my breath.

"Do you need me to drive you home? You look like crap." He offered, earning another yawn out of me.

"I'll be fine, Lucas." I assured him, starting to walk toward my car again.

"Faith, let me drive you." He said it as more of an order this time. I flipped around to face him, ready to get mad. The anger drained out of me when I saw the look in his eyes, the guilt. I nodded slowly and tossed him the keys.

"What about your car? Don't you have to. . ."

"I'll just catch a bus back here to pick it up or something. Come on." I nodded and climbed into my car, leaning my head back against the passengers seat.

"For all I know you could be a murder and you're driving me out in the middle of no where so you can kill me." I said once he started the car. He snorted, giving me a sideways glance.

"Your dad is the Sheriff, Faith. He'd know it was me. But thanks for the idea." A laugh escaped my mouth before I could stop it,

"Then why did you want to drive me?" I asked, turning my head so I was looking at him. He didn't reply right away but I could see his hands grip the steering wheel tighter and his jaw set.

"You looked like you were ready to pass out. Your son doesn't need to grow up without a mother." I knew he was trying to divert his answer, so I kept my mouth shut and turned to look out the window. The diner and all the cars flew past us in blurs.

"My mom died in a car accident." Lucas said suddenly, causing me to snap my head up and turn to him in shock. I hadn't known much about Lucas' family. I had tried to pry the information out of my dad when Lucas had been put into rehab, but my dad hadn't helped a whole lot. All he said was that Lucas lost both of his parents fairly young and lived with his younger brother and his grandparents.

"I'm sorry." I whispered, wishing that the dark look that crossed over his face would disappear. He shrugged, keeping his eyes on the road.

"I'm sure you are." Is all he said. I stared at him, my mouth half open as I tried to figure out something to say, but I slammed it shut after a moment of deliberation. I hated when people pitied me for my mom leaving, like saying sorry was going to help deal with the fact that she was gone.

"No, really, I am. I hate when people say it to me, Lucas. When they apologize for my mom leaving, when they say sorry for me getting raped, like it's going to change things. Like them saying sorry will change anything." I said, staring at him. He glanced over at me, then shook his head and looked back at the street.

"No fifteen year old girl deserves to be raped, Faith."

"What does that have to do with anything? Lucas, everyone has things that they wish never happened, that they wished were just fantasy or a horrible nightmare. I have mine and you have yours. What nobody seems to understand is that apologizing isn't going to make us feel any better." He nodded. He stayed quiet the rest of the way back to my house, occasionally glancing over at me, probably to see if I was asleep.

"We're here." He whispered. I reached for the handle and climbed out of my car, waiting for him to join me.

"You can come in if you want. I promise my dad won't shoot you." I said, gesturing back toward my house as Lucas dropped my keys into my hands.

"It's fine. I have somewhere to be." He started to walk away, but I jogged to catch up to him.

"Hey, Lucas. Thanks for driving me." He shrugged, not turning to look back at me. I laid my hand on his back, smiling.

"I'm here if you need me. I. . . I know what it's like to feel like no ones cares, like you are completely alone." He bowed his head and started to move again.

"Thank you, Faith." He said quietly. I nodded, watching him walk away without lifting his head back up.

***

"Dad?" I asked later that night at dinner. My dad lifted his head up from his steak and nodded.

"Yeah?"

"What happened to Mr. and Mrs. Shaw?" My dad dropped his fork in shock, his eyes dark.

"I told you that is classified, Faith. I. . ."

"Lucas said his mom died in a car accident. What really happened, Dad?" My dad shook his head, standing up and washing his plate off.

"Why don't you ask the boy yourself, Faith? If he feels like he can tell you then let him do it. Goodnight, sweetheart." He kissed my forehead before ruffling Logan's hair and walking out of the room. I turned to Logan to find him staring at me with big, curious eyes.

"What? Why are you looking at me like that?" I asked him, grinning as I reached across the table to grab his sippy cup.

"I know, Monkey. I'm tired too." I sighed, standing up and taking him out of his high chair.

"We'll go to the park tomorrow, okay?"

"Park!" He said, clapping. I kissed his nose and shut the kitchen light off as I walked down the hall toward my room.

"Yeah, park." I yawned and walking into my room, kicking the door shut behind me.

***AN***

Hope you enjoyed! 

Let me know what you thought!

~ChasingMadness24