3~ Blocks and Clocks

"Faith! Shut him up!" I rolled over in my bed and slipped off the bed. I had thought Logan would stop crying after the first few mintues but he hadn't.

"Faith, quiet him. . ."

"I am!" I yelled back, shaking my head as I reached down to pull my son out of his crib. I gasped when I felt how hot he was.

"Jesus, Logan. Dad!" I yelled, stroking Logan's hair as I walked toward the door, holding him against me.

"Faith, what's. . ." I noddde at Logan and my dad reached out to touch his red cheek. He pulled his hand away quickly and took a deep breath.

"Go get dressed. I'll drive you to the hospital." I set Logan on the bed as I changed quickly, not taking my eyes off of him. What if something was really wrong? He had never been this hot, never cried and screamed this much. He would be okay, he would be fine. . . wouldn't he.

"Mama!" He cried as I picked him back up again. I ran into my dad in the hallway and he handed me a wet rag. I thanked him and let him lead me out of the house.

***

"Faith, he'll be fine." My dad whispered, rubbing my back, his eyes glassed over as well. June sat beside me, her cheeks covered in dry tears as she sent a text to Bradley.

"Dad, he was burning up! I. . . it's my fault. I usually tuck him in and make sure he's okay. I didn't this time. I fed him and laid him down. . . it's my fault." I buried my face in my hands again, tears streaming down my cheeks.

My baby, he couldn't possibly be hurt. He was all I had, he was my world, my everything. I. . . I couldn't let him get hurt. . .

"Miss Miller?" I flew out of my seat, rushing toward the doctor.

"Is he okay?" I asked, staring into his dark eyes. He gave me a tight smile and showed me his clipboard.

"It seems like it was only a ear infection. You can get him, he's been released. However, I would really keep an eye on him and make sure it doesn't get worse." I nodded, a tidal wave of relief washing over me.

"Thank you." I whispered before darting down the hallway, glancing into every room until I found the right one. They had Logan in what looked like a crib, elevated off the floor. Logan was sitting up in it, his hands gripping the bars as if he thought he was trapped.

"Mommy." He whispered, seeing me in the dimly lit doorway. I grinned and walked over to him, nodding.

"Mama, they trap me." He said, slamming his hands against the metal bars.

"No, baby. They were trying to see what was wrong with you. See, look, the bars come down." I pulled the bars down slowly, careful not to scare him. The minute they were down he launched himself into my arms. I let out a whimper and kissed his head.

"Don't scare Mommy like that again, okay?" He nodded, his nails digging into my back. I started to turn to walk out of the room when he started to squirm.

"Toy." He pointed toward the crib where a giant stuffed block was sitting. I grabbed it and handed it to him.

"We have to give that back, Monkey. That's not yours." He held the block against his chest, shaking his head.

"Mine." He mumbled. I laughed and carried him out of the room. He was out like a light by the time I reached the waiting room. My dad and June rushed toward me, but Bradley, who must have showed up while I was checking on Logan, was a lot more hesitant.

"How is he?" My dad asked, touching Logan's cheek.

"Is he okay?" I nodded at both of them and tried to pry the toy from Logan's grasp.

"It was only an ear infection. The doctor wants me to keep an eye on him to make sure it doesn't get worse. Dad, he thought he was trapped in there." My dad frowned, holding his arms out. I slowly and gently pulled Logan off of me. Logan shifted, but didn't wake up.

"Faith? Are you okay? Is Logan okay?" I could feel my whole body grow tense and anger rushed through me.

"We're fine. You can leave now." I snapped. He reached out to touch my hand but I ripped it away from him.

"Don't touch me. I might give you an STD." I hissed through my teeth before joining my dad in front of the hospital doors and walking out with him.

***

"Mama! Look!" Logan gasped, pointing up at the sky above us. A plane was passing over head and it was close enough that I could see the exact pattern on it. I had been sprawled out on my back and Logan had climbed on top of me, sitting on my stomach.

"It a awopwane." I giggled at the way he said the word and ruffled his hair.

"You two look like you're having fun." I barely looked up as Logan jumped off of me and threw arms around the legs beside me.

"Gwanpa!" He exclaimed, laughing. My dad picked him up and held him up in the air.

"Hey there, Bud. What are you and Mommy doing?" He asked, setting him back down. Logan started moving around, holding his arms out like an airplane.

"We watching the sky." He replied, hopping up and down as he looked up at his grandfather. My dad helped me up before raising an eyebrow.

"Did someone have too much sugar this morning?" He asked, gesturing toward Logan who was spinning around in circles.

"Dad, you know how cute he gets when he wants something. It was only a few sips from my soda." My dad shook his head, chuckling.

"What soda was it?"

"Mountain Dew." My dad ruffled my hair before turning to Logan.

"Hey, Monkey. How about we go get some spagetti?" My dad asked, holding his hand out. Logan turned to me, almost as if he was asking permission.

"Go ahead, Monkey. Grandpa wants to spend time with you." He clapped before taking my dad's hand and going into the house. I waited until they were inside to let out a sigh, staring up at the blue above me.

"Look, Big Guy. I know I don't talk to you much, but I was wondering if maybe you could try and help me make Logan's birthday in a couple weeks great? It's his third birthday and I want it to be special." I said, probably looking like a nut case to my neighbors.

"Faith, honey! Are you going to come join us?" My dad shouted from the house, I nodded and looked back up at the sky.

"Please, God. Just let his birthday be okay. I don't care about me, just let him have a great day." I let out a sigh after my speech before turning around and taking off toward my house.

***AN***

Hope you guys enjoyed! 

Let me know what you thought! I know it was a filler chapter, I promise the next will be better.

~ChasingMadness24