1~Liar Liar

"Oh my god, is that Lucas Shaw?" I looked up from my textbook and at the front of the room, feeling my best friend's eyes on the back of my head. It was Lucas Shaw, and he looked like crap. His dark eyes had bags under them and his hair looked as if he had just climbed out of bed without giving a crap about how he looked.

"It is." Someone whispered back to whoever had spoke. Lucas coughed and handed Mr. Collins a note.

"What is this?" Mr. Collins asked, taking it from him. I felt a hand on her shoulder and quickly turned around to face my best friend, June.

"I can't believe he's out of rehab." She whispered. I nodded in agreement, glancing back at a very awkward looking Lucas standing beside Mr. Collins.

"Take a seat beside Miss Miller." My eyes widened as Lucas turned to face me.

"But Mr. Collins Bradly is supposed too. . ." As if my boyfriend heard me say his name, he rushed into the classroom, pushing Lucas out of the way. He slammed one hand against his knee and the other flew up in the air as he signaled for Mr. Collins to give him a second.

"Sorry, Mr. C. Coach wouldn't let us go until I finished the lap." The teacher chuckled and waved his hand as if it was some inside joke.

"Sure, no problem, kid. At least you decided to join us. Please take your seat." Bradley saluted him before jogging over and sliding into his seat next to me.

"Good afternoon, babe." He pecked me on the lips quickly before pulling his textbook out of his backpack.

"Were you really at practice?" I mumbled as Lucas took a seat beside June. She shifted uncomfortably before giving me a weird look.

"Of course I was, Faith. Why would I lie to you? Where else would I be?" I shrugged, turning away from him and trying to force myself to pay attention to whatever Mr. Collins was saying.

It would have been different if Brad hadn't been late for the last two and half months. He would always show up to pick me up for our dates late, he would show up to class late, he was always late. And I knew for a fact he wasn't really at practice. One day a few weeks ago, I had gone to surprise him at practice but he hadn't been there. Apparently he hadn't been to practice for the last month.

"Come on, Faith. I promise that's where I was. Go ask coach." It pissed me off that he didn't think I knew that he was lying. He thought I was some gullible little girl, he thought I didn't know where he really was.

"Mr. Bradley and Miss Miller, would you care to share with the class? No? I didn't think so." I could feel my cheeks heat up as Brad reached for my hand under the table, I pushed his hand away and turned back to Mr. Collins and forced myself to ignore the burning in my chest and eyes and focus on the Biology lesson.

***

"Dad! I'm home!" I screamed, shutting the door behind me. I didn't even get a chance to drop my bag when I felt tiny arms wrap around my legs.

"Mommy!" I grinned, dropping my book-bag onto the couch.

"Logan!" I exclaimed, kneeling down and wrapping my arms around my son. He giggled and buried his face in the crook of my neck.

"Hey, sweetheart. How was school?" My dad asked, coming into the room. I picked Logan up, walking over and kissing my father's cheek.

"It sucked." I muttered. I set Logan in his high chair and walked into the kitchen, looking for his juice. I could feel my dad pass me and he slowly sat at the table beside my son.

"Why?" He asked, obviously trying to make small talk. I shrugged and grabbed the orange juice from the fridge.

"It's school, Dad. It always sucks. I can't wait to get out of the hell hole." I replied, pouring the juice into the sippy cup.

"Sweetheart, you've got to start thinking about colleges. I know you aren't going to. . ."

"Dad, I can't go to college. I have Logan." I ignored the look my dad gave me and set the sippy cup in front of Logan.

"I have to go to work, honey. But promise me you'll look at some brochures, even if they're online." He kissed me quickly on the forehead before grabbing his gun and jacket and hurrying out of the house.

"Yeah, yeah. Sure, Dad." I mumbled to myself, pulling my hair into a ponytail as I sat at the table.

"Mommy?" I smiled at Logan, waiting for him to go on.

"Gwampa is mad at me." I frowned at his words, but never got a chance to ask him why. My phone went off and Logan started squirming in his high chair.

"Hello?"

"Faith, you aren't going to believe what I just saw." The tune in June's voice made me freeze where I stood.

"Bradley?" I breathed out, bringing a shaky hand up my forehead.

"Yeah. I'm so sorry, Faith. I. . . It's not fair! He knows about Logan, he knows you need someone. I. . . I just can't believe you were actually right. I didn't. . ." I zoned out on the rest of the conversation. If I had known that it was such a possibility, why did I feel so bad? Why did I feel like someone had just stabbed me in the chest and twisted it over and over?

"Faith, are you still there?" I shook my head as Logan reached for me, his eyes glistening with tears.

"I. . . I have to go, June. I'll talk to you tomorrow." I hung up before she could suggest that she come over.

"Mama?" Logan whimpered. I pushed the sippy cup off of his high chair and threw it at the wall across the room, tears finally escaping my eyes.

"It's not fair! How do you expect me to do this alone? Why me?" I screamed at the ceiling. I honestly didn't know if I was talking to my mom or God. Both of them had screwed me. My mom left when I needed her the most, she left me and Dad here to take care of ourselves, to try and survive without her. And God, why should I even think he exists? I had gotten raped, I had been forced to grow up before I should have. I had a child when I was still a kid myself. Now, now he thinks it'll be a fun little game to see me without anyone. He took Brad away from me and. . .

"Mama!" Logan yelled. I pulled him out of his high chair and held him against my chest.

"I'm sorry, Logan. I'm so sorry." I whispered in his ear. I stared down at his head, at the black hair that he definitely hadn't inherited from me, but from the man who had raped an innocent fifteen year old girl.

"I'm sorry I can't be a great Mommy. I'm sorry you don't have a Daddy." I continued, sniffling. It was when I felt his breathing grow heavy that I carried him to our room and laid in bed, his head resting against me. I ran my hand through his hair and turned to look up at the ceiling. M . . . maybe this was a Godsend. Maybe finally being free of Brad and his lies would be good for me. Maybe I could finally start over after graduation in two months, I could take my dad and Logan and leave this horrible town. This horrible town where almost everyone knows about me, about what happened that night. About my mom and dad; about Logan.

"My new beginning." It was a dream that was pretty far out of reach, all I could do was hope that I was right and this was all a test. And in the end, my prize would be right there waiting for me.

***AN****

Not a super eventful chapter and may seem a little confusing.

It will get better and will explain a lot more, I promise.

Let me know what you thought!

~ChasingMadness24