Chapter 29/101: Roses and Mirrors

Read+Comment! Enjoy<3
~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•

Buzz.

Ring.

Another buzz.

Another ring.

I finally shot a meaningful glare at my phone over the desk before me, as I turned the screen off after I'd turned on it to check the caller's ID.

Although truthfully, I didn't even need to do that.

I already knew too well who it was.

Buzz. Buzzz. Buzzz.

RIIIING.

I clutched the phone, and responded to the call, finally.

"Can I help you with something, Abel Daniels?" My voice came clear, and rude.

Although it was damn painful to talk in such a way to him.

It's true.

He tried to burn me, I know. But I do not hate him.

If there's something to be hated, then it might as well be this ugly habit of mine.

I hold on to people too much it's unhealthy.

I licked my lips, as silence came from the other side for some moments.

I let out a shaking breath.

He's been calling me like so since days ago after the secret secretary event.

It intimidated me more that he didn't seem so aware of my presence in the week before after Byron's incident.

Perhaps he wanted to give me time, but...

I tried thinking the reasons behind his calls, but I couldn't reach the truth.

Why.

Why won't you leave me alone, Abel Daniels?!

His voice finally came, and the hair at the back of my neck stood up.

"I want you to hear me out, Thorne." His voice came composed, and low.

I let out a dry chuckle, and my heart ached at my rudeness at him.

Hey, I don't hate him.

Okay, put that aside, Char. He tried to burn you. Ellington saved you.

You would've died.

I bit my lips.

"And now I am?" I sassed.

He let out a sharp breath.

"I never knew of that sharp mouth through the week I'd known you." His voice continued to be neutral, and calm, yet it had some anger down there.

I let out a breath. "W-Well, you hadn't tried to burn me yet, back then."

Savage, Charlotta! Dat's it, gurl!

A growl escaped him, and man that was hot, okay? Too hot.

I flushed for a second. Bad thoughts you idiot at such a moment!

"I believe I deserve a goddamned chance to explain, Thorne!" His voice was a tiny bit louder, and its deepness froze.

My eyes suddenly stung.

"Th-Those who ask for a chance to explain usually have a convincing reason for their mistake," My voice went low, and I swallowed, "But nothing could ever give you an excuse to burn me, Abel Daniels!" My voice shivered yet it was hard.