Why him?

'Where are we going to look first?' Malia asks Scott when they walk out the door of the animal clinic.

'We should follow the route to his house from here, maybe we'll find him on our way.' Scott replied.

Malia nodded and they both sat down on the motor. Malia was driving again.

Scott held his arms around her waist tightly.

'Scott, you tell me where to go, I don't know where he lives.'

'Sure, go left here.' Scott said.

Malia turned left and drove on. Scott told her the way, but he didn't have to tell her the last part. It was already obvious which house would be his. They could both smell it already a mile away.

'Oh my god! Is he still in there?' Malia said when they reached the house and saw flames and smoke coming out.

Scott immediately jumped off the motor.

'I don't know, I'm going to check it out! Malia, please call the fire department and an ambulance!' Scott said and ran towards the house.

'Scott! Wait! I'll check the house, you're to weak now!' Malia shouted after him, but he was already inside.

She had no time to wait. She immediately called 911.

Scott ran inside the burning house, when he opened the door he felt the heat of the flames. He could barely breath because of the smoke.

'DEATON!' Scott yelled.

He didn't hear an answer.

Scott walked to the living room where flames were blocking the way to the kitchen. Deaton wasn't in here.

Scott looked for another way to get to the kitchen, but this way was the only one.

'Deaton!?' Scott yelled again in the hope he would answer.

But again, nothing.

Scott took a run and ran as fast as possible through the flames that blocked the way. It probably worked, he didn't feel anything was burned. He checked the kitchen but he was not here either.

He has to be upstairs.

Scott tried the same thing to leave the kitchen, he ran trough the flames. But this time his jacket got on fire.

Scott immediately pulled it off as fast as he could and threw it away. He walked on to the stairs.

Scott ran up the stairs but halfway one of the steps broke and fell down. Scott could hold himself onto the guardrail and climbed further up again.

The smoke was here when worse than downstairs. Scott coughed and held his elbow on front of his mouth.

'Deaton?!' He yelled again.

Still no answer.

Scott could barely see a thing through the smoke and used his arm to feel where he was. Suddenly his foot bumped against something. Or better said, someone. It was Deaton.

Scott kneeled down and held his face in his hands. He had severe burn marks.

'Deaton! Can you hear me? You have to get out of here now!'

But Deaton didn't respond.

Scott didn't hesitate and shove his arms under his body and lifted him up. He walked back to the stairs to go down and get outside. But right before he wanted to step on the first step, the stairs broke down and fell all the way to the ground.