Chapter 26

Hello! I know this will decrease this book's number of chapters, but I don't feel the need to write about scenes in BOTFA. It's already in the movie. So I'll jump-cut to specific parts. Sorry! Enjoy, vote, and comment! -Joann :3)

PS. Even though I published this chapter on Monday, my updating schedule is Wednesday or earlier.

Thranduil's POV:

"Prepare your troops," I order Captain Gwaennethial, Tauriel's replacement. To be honest, Gwaennethial was skilled in combat, but definitely not as good with leadership and decision making as Tauriel. However, I still firmly maintained that she was a great choice. Though I would never admit it, I much preferred Tauriel's captainship.

"We march to Erebor by dawn."

---

"Since when has my counsel counted for so little?" Gandalf huffed, pacing the length of the tent. "What do you think I'm trying to do?"

"I think you're trying to save your dwarvish friends," I answer swiftly. Gandalf looks away exasperatedly, almost rolling his eyes. "And I admire your loyalty to them, but it does not dissuade me from my course," I silence him, standing as he puffs on his smoky cigar.

"You started this Mithrandir. You will forgive me if I finish it." I stand, turning to face Lieutenant Lavanor.

"Are the archers ready?" I question.

"Yes, my lord," he responds immediately.

"Give the order. If anything moves on that mountain, kill it," I order emotionlessly, vaguely aware of the Gray Wizard's eyes widening in shock and fear.

"The dwarves are out of time," I say, a soft hiss blended into my words.

Third Person--

"You! Bowman!" Gandalf exclaims hurriedly, striding briskly to Bard. "Do you know of this? Thorin's gold is not important here. Would you bide by the blood of dwarves?"

"It will not come to that," Bard counters dismissively. "This is a fight they cannot win."

"That won't stop them."

Recognizing at the small but firm voice, the two turn with wide eyes toward a hobbit. Bilbo.

"You think the dwarves will surrender? They won't, they will fight to the death to defend their own," Bilbo declares, slightly out of breath. There was a certain firmness to his voice, a certainty that neither of the other two could argue with.

"Bilbo Baggins!" Gandalf cries, both proud and a little shocked at seeing his adventurous burglar.

Bilbo offered a happy but tight smile.

----

"If I am not mistaken, this is the halfling who stole the keys to my dungeons from under the nose of my guards," Thranduil says smoothly, gliding majestically to his chair, eyes piercing Bilbo's.

Slightly abashed, Bilbo's eyes flickered to the floor briefly.

"Yeesh," he muttered sheepishly, stealing glances at his feet. "Sorry about that."

Thranduil stared back monotonously, expression still masked. Bard's mustache twitched a little, not really noticablly, but Bilbo noticed neither.

"I came," Bilbo stepped toward an elegant wooden table. "To give you this."

On the table, he placed a small round object wrapped in a velvety cloth. As he unwrapped the light inside, Thranduil's eyes widened, memory rushing back to him.

Flashback-

"Send a messenger to them. We will help," Thranduil orders atop his elk. The elves around him stared, horrified, at the scene below.

Dale. It was on fire, bright flames lighting the top of houses, patches of dirt, towers. Smaug unleashed yet another blast of orange fury, igniting a bell tower. Citizens all around ran and screamed in a jumble of fire and confusion. Some unlucky citizens caught Smaugs wrath, and ran, panicked, a vivid trail of fire latched onto them. The elves, on top of a hill, watched as the unlucky ones screamed in agony as they slowly slipped from the world.

"My lord! They say to fight, fight the dragon, reclaim the mountain!" the messenger appears, panting and covered in ashes.

"Fools!" the king snarls. "They cannot fight. They will die, every one of them!"

"Help!" Thrain shouted at the neat, organized group watching the city. "Help fight the dragon!"

"We will not fight it! I will not waste elvish blood. We will give you refuge, evacuate you," Thranduil calls back, voice unruffled and smooth as always.

"No! Fight!" Thrain clutched the Arkenstone like a lifeline, staring at Thranduil.

"That stone...it shall be mine!" Smaug roared turning towards the jewel's blinding light.

He breathed a long breath of fire, an orange stream of destruction. Elves and dwarves alike closed their eyes for a moment, in honor of the former King under the mountain.

The elvenking shook his head. They would have to learn from death.

Present---

The Arkenstone. It shone brighter than the stars, reflected more colors than a rainbow, smoother than the most delicate leaf. It was as if the stone contained a piece of the galaxy. Bard and Thranduil both stood slowly, as if entranced, observing it closely.

"The heart of the mountain," Thranduil breathed softly. "The king's jewel."

"How is this yours to give?" asked Bard, tearing his eyes away from the shimmering gem.

"I took it as my 14th share of the treasure," Bilbo answered simply.

"Why would you do this? You owe us no loyalty," Bard questioned as Thranduil looked over Bilbo placidly, emotionless composure restored.

"I'm not doing it for you," Bilbo shook his head. "I know that dwarves can be obstinate, peak-headed, and difficult. They're suspicious, secretive, and have the worst manners you can possibly imagine." Bilbo nodded toward Gandalf, who gave him a shadow of a smile.

"But they are also brave and kind...and loyal to a fold. And I would save them if I can," Bilbo said resolutely. "Now, Thorin values this stone above all else. In exchange for the return, I believe he will give you what you are owed. There will be no need for war."

The two lords' eyes met each others. There was only one sensible option.