Chapter 23: Demon

In the next moment, countless cracks started appearing on the outer shell of the egg visage that was floating above our heads. It looked as if you were trapped in a cave, but suddenly the wall was breaking bit by bit, and countless streaks of light had shone through the gaps. Yes, it's a scene from that kind of story.

As I stood there, raising my head towards the strange phenomenon happening right above me, I noticed that Edacitas had finally recovered enough, that he could stand.

Well, if you could call that standing...

In the corner of my eye, a little black-haired boy with eyes seething with rage, likened by his glowing red irises, that was barely trying to balance himself. It was like seeing a newborn deer coming into the world, and learning how to stand up by itself.

Of course, I do notice his awful glare directed at me, but if I looked closer, there was a trace of fear in his eyes now. His gaze swimming from me, to the dark fog egg, Lode-san, and the unconscious Marielle-san, I can tell that he's trying to find a way out of this.

But, it won't be that easy you know?

No, I'll make sure of that myself.

Putting the escaping 'Demon King' aside for now, it seems that I had finally taken control of my own thoughts. Before, in the few times that I had experienced this release of immense strength, my mind was too chaotic, hence a different train of thought appeared in place of my usual 'Daytime Form' carefree idleness.

Now that I had gotten a little more used to this, my thought process had slowly merged together. I can think and calculate a lot of things in this form by many folds, even without using my <<Estimate>> skill, but that's the only difference now.

Gone are the days where I appear like a major arrogant prick towards others with my sharp tongue. I would like to do something about my glare that looks down on others like ants, but it seems my eyes were always narrowed like this during the skill duration.

Well, let's take it one step at a time.

Let's try using this reborn tongue towards the little boy that was chanting an ominous-sounding spell over there. Honestly, did he think I wouldn't pay attention?

"Oi, trash."

Ah, I stand corrected.

Even when my thoughts were normal, it seemed that my mouth had a mind of its own.

Please give me a break.

"...! Burn into ashes in death, <<Endless Flames>>"

When I called out to him, he looked as frightened as a cat. What happened to your earlier bravado, O Gluttonous King of Demons? I only managed to show a wry smile when I looked at his visage now, compared to earlier.

Well, now wasn't the time for that.

As I sigh seeing the demonic flames tinged with black and blood red coming towards my location, from a futile spell that was most probably used to buy time in order for the user to escape in the time frame of when I defended against it, I tried chanting the broken spell that rendered everything that comes in contact with it, powerless...

But right as I did, the egg-shaped fog above me suddenly issued an ear-shattering sound.

As I was about to start my chant, two small, blurry figures, one as blinding as a sudden light, and the other surrounded by dark-colored gales of wind, suddenly shot forward, passing through each side of my head.

At a speed that even surprised me, the bright blinding figure suddenly charged through the middle of the demonic flame spell that looked as if it was hotter than lava.