Chapter 12: Flag

So that self-proclaimed god of darkness wasn't self-proclaimed after all.

I wanted to know how a story as long as that fit onto a piece of paper but I decided not to after considering the situation.

The one who asks loses.

I was about to read more about the history of 'Aragnor' since I got slightly interested on what a 'Famiglia' was composed of in detail. But as soon as I did..

A rainbow-colored light shot out of the piece of paper, immediately catching me off guard. I hurriedly let go of it, letting it drop onto the cold, damp floor. Still, it wouldn't get dirty nor wet no matter what, so it wasn't a problem.

As soon as I had grown accustomed to the shining blindness, the darkness of night returned once again. Making it seem like the light inside the dreary cell was nothing but a lie. But, the piece of paper was nowhere to be found.

What took its place was a book. When I took a closer look with slight caution, it seemed bigger than a normal book. But it was more slender than those thick dictionaries I might have seen once or twice.

When I picked it up, it felt smooth and rough at the same time. The material was alien to anything that I had ever held before. A purple and black covering wrapped the pages in place. Emitting a slight prism glow was a gem embedded in the center. Obviously, I tried using <<Appraisal>> once more, but it yielded the same result as when I was trying to inspect the ring.

In fact, I couldn't even see the words on the description, in contrast with the garbled ones on the ring's description. Did this mean that this item was of higher tier than the ring? If so, what exactly is it?

In my curiosity, I tried opening the long, slender book that emanated power. But as soon as my right hand made contact with it..

*Psshhh*

".....Not this again.."

Like the last two times, the book was swallowed whole inside the black fog coming out from the ring, in the same way as when the egg and the crystal orb did. In the next moment, only air was caught through my fingertips.

This was really troublesome. Everything I touch just gets swallowed up. I got the slight idea that this ring might be some kind of storage device but I was not a hundred percent sure. In the meantime, let's decide to find information about my strange items someday, so I could read the rest of the things the writer wrote on the letter.

Well, it's a book now though.

Like this, I observed fluctuations in my strength and prepared the details of my escape plan. By the time the sunlight shone through the window, my appearance already turned back to what it was before with slight changes, and I felt like I lost a lot of strength. Mental fatigue and sleepiness tempted me to take a nap, but not before I heard the warden.

♦♦♦♦♦♦♦

I stop my thoughts there, as my tiredness from lifting rocks all day from place to place took its toll. I immediately plopped down onto the haystack at the side of my cell when I arrived. Without caring if there was any hygiene issues with the clump of dirty hay, I relaxed my whole body and exhaled a sigh.

Now that I had my thoughts in order, let's accept Dazel's offer after all. Even if it sounded too beneficial for me to escape town with his comrades, he wouldn't betray me would he? No, this was a give and take kind of trade. I help him steal whatever is kept inside this building, and in return, he helps me move to another town. Simple as that.

Let's not think about how I was going to commit a crime nor the possibility of things going wrong. Because if I think too hard, it would backfire. Besides, if I didn't do anything, I'm sure that I would be executed without a fair chance soon enough anyway. If he was a member of the 'Seven Major Famiglias', this would get more troublesome.