Chapter 20: Premonition

Coming out from the store, we walked along the village path, until we reached the commercial area of the village. This was where the daily grind of the villagers usually took place. At least, that's what Marielle-san had told me.

As I looked around with Elle-chan, we saw people carrying swords and bows, heading outside the village, towards the forest trail. They must have been the village's hunting group that secures food every day. If you looked around, you'd see some peddlers and merchants selling their wares in various stalls.

Various noises were heard, and aromas of food being cooked wafted through the air. Now that I think about it, it was already time for lunch. I'm feeling a bit peckish. Okay, I'm really hungry. I mean, what did you expect from someone who got used to eating hard bread and lukewarm water each day?

*Gurururu*

Hmm, I could have sworn that was the sound of a stomach growling, but I'm sure it wasn't mine. When I looked to my side, the little girl, Elle-chan was hanging her head down.

Looking more closely, her cheeks were also flushed pink. What, did I do something?

Either way, it was cute...

Wait, this wasn't the time to be admiring Elle-chan's cuteness. I had to find out what was wrong with her. Did she get a fever from walking too much under this heat?

Or did she finally develop feelings for me, and became self-conscious about holding hands!? No, that's not it. On second thought...

*Gururururu*

"......Ah."

As if a light bulb appeared on top of my head, I finally found the answer I was looking for.

"...Eh, Kyouya-nii?"

In a moment when we were covered under the villagers' walking figures, I used <<Instantaneous Movement>> and <<Quicken>> on my body, to disappear from the spot where I was standing. Leaving the embarrassed Elle-chan all alone.

Though, that only lasted for as long as 5 seconds. Since immediately after Elle-chan had started looking for me, I appeared right next to her. It was as if I never left her side.

In my hands were two 'Rabbit Meat' skewers. When Elle-chan had noticed me, I carefully gave the other one to her with a smile. When she saw my gesture, she was embarrassed again, but was immediately replaced with a bright smile of a child.

Yep, this is how children should be. Happy.

What I did was, for those who couldn't follow my movements, sprinted towards the stall that was selling these skewers which had quite a large amount of people lining up. Since I couldn't delay, I quickly took a look at how much the price of each skewer was.

According to the signboard on top of the stall, each skewer was two Copper Coins. After making sure of that part, I took out the payment of four Copper Coins, and left it on the counter, while simultaneously grabbing two freshly cooked skewers from the stall owner's hands. Well, movement skills are convenient, aren't they?

This wasn't stealing you know, I properly paid for what I took. Although it may be unfair to those that were waiting in line, please let me off just this once, since Elle-chan was in danger. I'm sure this wasn't a crime, right...

Putting how I got it aside, as soon as Elle-chan had received the skewer, she greedily took large bites out of the meat portions, spilling sauce on her cheeks.

That's no good you know. Marielle-san is going to get mad at me once she sees you like that. I don't even want to imagine what a gentle person like her looks like once she's mad.