Chapter 19: Store

"It's time to go shopping!"

Elle-chan had said after coming out from her room.

I don't remember ever promising to go shopping, so those words must have been directed towards Marielle-san, who was smiling lightly at my side.

"M hmm, We do need ingredients for tonight's dinner don't we?"

Marielle-san said to Elle-chan while patting her head.

That looks nice, patting Elle-chan like that...

No, why am I getting jealous!? This had nothing to do with my goals, and yet I find myself wanting to spoil the cute creature in front of my eyes.

"Ah, that's right! Kyouya-kun, would you like to go together with Elle today?"

Only Marielle-san's words snapped me out of my delusions.

"I have no problem with it, but I don't know my way around this village except where you told me the general store was, Marielle-san."

I'm sorry that I am useless, I really am.

"If that's the case, there's no problem. Elle-chan can guide you around the village so that you can buy some clothes along with the ingredients for dinner."

I see, if I go along with Elle-chan, I can go buy new clothes from the general store, while also protecting Elle-chan from suspicious people! Today was a Sunday, so I can take my time preparing for the carriage that departs tomorrow.

Truly, killing two birds with one stone.

I don't know if I have the capability of protecting someone, but I'll do my best.

"Okay, sounds good, but will Elle-chan go together with a guy like me?"

"Ara~ are you embarrassed of Elle?"

"No, no, it's not-"

Suddenly, I felt a tug at the hem of my shirt.

When I looked down towards the source, it was Elle-chan, that looked as if she was on the verge of crying. What, what was wrong?

"....*Sniffle*...Kyouya-nii, you won't come with me?"

"I'LL GO! I'll definitely go, don't worry about it."

"...Really?"

"Ah, trust me."

It seems that my 'Trustworthy Soldier' facade worked, but I don't think I can take 'that' expression anymore. Showing tears with upturned eyes is just playing dirty.

"Then, it's decided. Here's the list, Elle. Don't get lost, okay?"

"Un, I won't."

I have a slight feeling that Marielle-san had planned for this to happen all along, but it must be my imagination. If that were true, that would be really scary.

"You take care of Elle as well, alright Kyouya-kun?"

"Ah, you can count on me. But, Marielle-san, what would you be doing today?"

It was strange that she suddenly let her only daughter come with a person that she met for less than a day, but there must have been a reason for it.

"Hmm, apparently, the village chief is gathering us for a meeting until the late afternoon, so I can't get out of it. I will repay you watching Elle by making a delicious dinner tonight, so don't worry. Assuming Elle gets the right ingredients of course."

"Muuuuu..."

When she said the last part, Elle-chan suddenly puffed up her cheeks in embarrassment.