Chapter 18: Currency

After finishing the meal, Elle-chan went straight to her room to do something. I didn't know what though. Nor did I want to know. Okay, maybe just a little.

I was currently sitting in satisfaction in front of the table adorned with cleaned wooden dish plates. I guess there were no ceramic plates in this era? Or maybe it was just reserved exclusively for the rich. This, I did not know yet.

Which reminds me, I had to ask someone about the common sense. By that I mean, a resident of this world. As I looked at Marielle-san cleaning up the plates, I decide to ask her after helping out with the cleaning.

I should do that at least.

Usually, Marielle-san had to clean the dishes with a damp cloth, but this time I was here. So, I used <<Water Magic>> on the plates to clean them up real quickly. Though, there was only a small amount of water that came out each time I chanted it. It was Level 1 after all.

Each time, I had to repeat washing them until I could see a dull shine on them, but I had to say, I did a good job. It seems that Marielle-san thought so too, since she hugged me for a few seconds when she saw how clean the dishes were. Was <<Water Magic>> that rare?

No, it must have been me over thinking things. There were no pipelines or indoor plumbing in medieval times after all. Although, now, I couldn't breath.

Two deadly weapons were currently crushing my head in a soft manner, depriving me of oxygen the more I stayed in here. I think, I'm going to die.

Ah, but this death might be just fine...

No, don't give in to temptation, me! I had to gather information about this world so I can live the rest of my days in peace. Maybe even find a way to get back home.

Although, the latter sounded a thousand times harder than living here instead, so let's put off finding a way back. I had no strong ties back on Earth either way. Also, I doubt I would have been successful in life, working every day.

Well, I will cross that bridge when I get to it.

For now, I use the rest of my measly strength to release myself from Marielle-san's hold on my head. Albeit reluctantly, I sat back down on the chair, and gestured her to sit down in front of me. I had many things to ask after all.

"Hmm, what is it Kyouya-kun?"

Somehow, her way of calling me had changed. I'm not complaining though. Not one bit.

"Well.....I just wanted to thank you one more time for letting me rest here last night. You even made me breakfast, if there is anything I can do in return, please let me know."

It's only natural to give something back when you receive kindness from a stranger.

But it seems that after my serious speech, Marielle-san smiled like a radiant sun. What, was anything weird about what I said? Does the culture here differ from Japan that much!?

While I was inwardly finding mistakes I had made within myself, I was interrupted by the slightly admonishing, but tinged with amusement, voice of Marielle-san.

"No, I just found you cute, that's all. There's no need to thank me. In fact, you should thank Elle for finding you in the bushes. Without her, we would never have met."

Marielle-san, being called cute doesn't make a guy happy you know?

Well, I'll let it slide just this once. In her eyes, I might just be a kid after all.

Now that I say it myself, that is depressing.

"I see. Then, I'll make it up to both of you. Deal?"