Chapter Thirteen

"Detention...really? Really?" 

Henry looked up and met his mother's blue eyes that looked about ready to pop out of her head and smack him across the face. He was waiting for his mother's mermaid side to appear as he gave her a small innocent smile to get her to calm down.

"Don't you smile at me Henry Dover...I mean Henry Black!"

He grimaced before dropping his head. "I'm sorry, Mum, but...well...things happened."

"Oh yes, because setting off a dungbomb in the middle of the library...well that just happens, doesn't it, Henry?"

The boy chuckled to himself before his mother gave him a stern look.

"I'm sorry?"

"Ugh." Nixie said turning away from the boy as his words and expression resembled far too much of his father in his school years. "You know, Madame Pince is not going to be very nice to you..or Hope. You damaged her books, Henry. That's...that's like murder to her. Her books are her babies."

"It's not like she can't use magic to fix them. Besides, shouldn't she retire already? She's wicked old, that's what you said."

"Henry!"

"What, I heard you and Dad talking about it over the summer..."

"What have I told about listening in on our conversations?"

"Sorry." he apologized again.

Nixie sighed before peering down at her son who shuffled back and forth awkwardly staring at his feet. She was sure Henry's partner in crime was receiving an earful from Remus back in his office as the two had been dragged by the back of their robes by Madam Pince to their respected guardians. 

Suddenly, a smile broke on her face before she nudged her son with her elbow causing him to look up at her.

"Was it worth the detention...was it worth spending a whole evening with Madame Pince?"

Henry grinned. "I think so. You should have seen her face, Mum, it was hilarious!"

"Well, keep thinking of her face while she gives you Merlin knows what punishment this evening. I can't get you out of this one."

Henry found Hope walking out of her grandfather's office with a sheepish grin. When she looked up and saw him the two stopped at the end of the corridor for a moment before they burst into giggles.

"That was probably one of the best reactions we've ever gotten!" Hope told him. "Did you see her face? It was all like arghowier!" she distorted her face trying to resemble the old cranky librarian. "I'd like to see her shush us again."

She laughed heartily. "I don't care if we ever get to pull a prank again, I can die happily with Madame Pince' reaction clear in my mind."

"You know she's probably going to torture us tonight, right?"

"Yes, she'll start off giving us papercuts in between our fingers and toes!"

"Hope that's sick!"

"What else do you think a librarian does all day besides contemplate torture techniques?" Hope asked him.

"Uh..read?"

"Pfft...don't be ridiculous, Henry."

"Don't you mean, riddikulus?" Henry smiled proudly.

Hope made a face at him. "You're beginning to sound like Grandpa Rem Rem and Greatpa Lyall."

"I thought that was pretty clever.'

"Of course you did."

"Speaking of them...how angry was Grandpa Moon Moon?"

"Enough that he threatened to tell my mum and dad." Hope shrugged. "Jokes on him though, as if Dad is really going to have anything to say."

"That's true, if anything, he'll ask if we need anymore supplies from the shop." Henry chuckled.

"And as for Mum, she pretty much hates Madame Pince for what happened back when she was in school."

"What? What happened?"

"You remember? Aunt Marnie whacked Mum in the face, breaking her nose and all Madame Pince cared about was if there was blood on the book."

"Well, Mum says her books are her babies." Henry said.

"I had the weirdest mental image of Madame Pince tucking in books for bedtime....you think she reads them other books..."

"Merlin's pants, Hope..why...why does your mind come up with these things?"

'Because I'm slightly mad, a little weird and a whole lot of fun.'

"Actually I think it's a little fun, slightly weird and a whole lot of madness." Henry corrected her. "Anyways, you think we should head on to detention?"

"Nah, I wasn't planning on going." Hope waved it off. 'That's a waste of a perfectly good evening."

"I agree. So what do you want to do besides go to our assigned detention?"

"When's the last time you were in the water, Mr. Black?"

"Oh it's been far too long....I like your thinking, Ms. Weasley."

Hope sat at the water's edge next to Henry who had his feet fully submerged in the cold lake water.

"So, if we don't have detention for the rest of the year after tonight, do you want to head to Hogsmeade this weekend?" Henry asked her.

"Oh I...umm...I sort of made plans for this weekend, Henry. Sorry, it's just I canceled on Benjamin last time and I figured I had to reschedule..."

"Oh." Henry said quietly, before shifting around on the ground. "That's cool."

"Is it?" Hope looked over at him. "I don't want to leave you hanging, Henry."

"Don't worry about it, Ope. I'll figure out something to do, you know me, I'll find some trouble to get into."

"Are you sure?"

"Yeah, you can have fun on your date with McGregor. "

"It's not a date!" she snapped at him before pushing him over in the cold grass.

"Oh it so is a date."

"No it's not! It's..a ..friendly..meeting. Yeah, that's it, just a friendly meeting."

"A friendly meeting to snog."

"Shut up, Ry!"