Chapter Twelve - Lies (FAKE pt II)

Annabeth met Percy at the pine tree. When she saw him, she started backing away, but he placed a hand on her shoulder to stop her. It was a soft movement; he didn't want to hurt her.

"Please hear me out." He said quietly.

Her stormy grey eyes studied him fearfully, unsure of what he was doing.

"Al - alright."

Percy lead her through the woods to the secret beach. So many memories they had shared here...

Hopefully this would be one more.

When they broke through the trees and out onto the sand, Percy wrapped his arms around Annabeth in a hug.

"Percy what -"

"I'm sorry." Percy said. "I am so, so, sorry that I didn't believe you."

Annabeth pulled away from him roughly. "No you're not."

"What?"

"You don't care." Annabeth blinked back tears. "You don't care about me and you never have."

"That's not true -"

"Percy, admit it. The media has persuaded you against your best friend."

"What? No!" Percy cried, reaching out hesitantly to touch Annabeth's shoulder. When she didn't flinch away he touched her and held her shoulder gently, staring into her eyes.

"Just get it over with." Annabeth said sadly. "Luke's done his job. Everyone thinks that we've cheated on each other. We weren't even dating in the first place."

"Who says we weren't dating?" Percy said.

"Everyone." Tears slipped down Annabeth's face. "The media. Our fans. Our family. Our friends. It wasn't believable enough."

"Well it certainly fooled me." Percy said, taking a step closer to her. He cupped her cheek with his hand, feeling her warm skin in his palm.

And then he leaned in and kissed her on the lips.