Chapter 16

"Okay, these should block out all voices except for mine, Dawn's, Barry's, and Oliver's." Cisco says, passing out silver earbuds to all of us. I'm exhausted and so is Dawn. We put the ear pieces in and all look at each other. I nod signaling that we need to leave. 

We find the meta easily. The three of us stand in front of the smiling man. He says something but I can't hear it because of Cisco's earbuds. 

"What was that? I couldn't hear you." I say, slyly. Dawn looks at me terrified. 

"Mine aren't working," she whispers frantically. I start to panic inside. 

"Can you hear me, little one?" David says maliciously.  

"I'm fifteen!" Dawn yells, annoyed. Then she gasps, realizing she just admitted that she can hear him. He smiles a nasty grin full of teeth. 

"Well this is going to be fun," he mutters impishly. Before he can do the whole 'see your worst nightmare thing again', Oliver puts an arrow through David's leg. He screams yells at Dawn, "see your ni-" Before he finishes Dawn's arms are around his neck in a choke hold.

"Never again," she says with a chill in her voice. I see the rage in her eyes and she moves one of her hand to the back of his head. Lightning ignites in her eyes as she gets ready to separate her arms. Is this really happening right now?  She is going to kill him.

"Dawn stop!" I scream at her. She doesn't stop; she just tightens her grip on the meta's head. "Dawn!" She tightens her eyes and I close mine. I can't see her do this. But instead of the sound of a snapping vertebrae I hear the sound of an arrow puncturing someone's skin.  I open my eyes and see Dawn on the floor. The metahuman is knocked out but alive. Dawn pulls the arrow out of her shoulder with a grunt. Then she stands with a surprised look on her face. 

"I- I almost killed that man," she says, her voice trembling. Oliver and I are stunned. 

"You were protecting yourself," I reassure her, even though I know it's not true.  

"Oh my God," she whispers. "It happened again."

«»«»«»«»«»«»«»

Oliver promises he wouldn't tell anyone what happened with Dawn. I give Felicity her DNA samples and hug her good bye. They leave back to Star City, Cisco and Caitlin go to the chem lab, and Jesse leaves to see a movie with Wally, I turn right around to Dawn and raise my eyebrows. 

"Are you kidding? Not only did you almost kill that guy but you've done it before?" I say loudly. I'm not necessarily yelling but I need to get my point across. 

"No it's not like that. I've never killed anyone," she says convincingly. Then her pitch raises and she shrugs, "But I've come close." I gape at her. Are you kidding me? 

"Care to explain?" She sighs. 

"My first two foster home were great. The parents were caring, the kids were friendly. Then my third foster home was well, the parents were okay. But there was this one other foster kid. He would tease me everyday, saying nobody wanted me. And then one day I stood up to him. I told him to shut up before I killed him. He didn't listen to me. Then this rage poisoned me like a tumor. I pushed him down and stepped on his neck until my foster parents hulled me off. And while I was squeezing his trachea, I heard a voice in the back of my head- Zoom's voice. Just like I heard it tonight. It was saying what he was saying when he killed my parents. He said, 'You will be just like me someday.' Then he said, 'You'll kill, just like me'."

I stand stunned. Oh my God. I'm pretty sure that was the most gruesome story I have ever heard. "I'm sorry," I say.

"Don't be. I'm fine. Can you just make sure that it doesn't happen again?" I nod.

"As soon as we get Zoom, most of your problems will go away." 

"I can't believe Oliver shot me," Dawn says in disbelief. 

"I can. He shot me too," I say. 

"Yeah well I can understand that," she says like she is stating the obvious. I punch her arm playfully. 

"So," I say changing the subject. "Jesse went on a date with Wally, huh?" Dawn smiles wide and squeals.

"I know! Isn't it amazing? She has been talking about him nonstop. I ship them so much." Her words come out fast and loud. 

"You know that Harry is going to kill him right?" I say, laughing.

"Yeah but it's worth it." She sighs. 

All of a sudden Cisco runs into the room, "Zoom was spotted outside the precinct." We get into our suits and run.