Chapter 3

"W-what! Whoa," Dawn says astonished. She takes in the full scope of STAR Labs; the high tech gadgets and computers and whiteboards filled with equations. Then her eyes land on a red suit in a display. My suit. Her face lights up as she steps closer to it.

"Hey Barry did you figure out how to boost the tachyon rate of the.." Cisco walks into the room side tracked by the tablet in his hands. He looks up at me and then shoots a look towards my suit. He sees Dawn.

"Uh.. Barry?" Cisco's face wears a mask of worry and confusion. Dawn turns around at Cisco's voice. She looks at me with cautious eyes then cowers into herself again.

"It's kind of a long story," I say, biting my lower lip.

>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<

"What do you mean 'she found out'?!" Cisco yells. He, Caitlin, and I are in the other room away from Dawn. I tried explaining the situation about how she just found out in a flash, for lack of a better word.

"Barry!" Caitlin says strictly, " You know how dangerous it is to be in this kind of life. And you just brought a kid into it!" I instantly feel shame wash over me. She's right.

"But- she knows. I panicked! Didn't know what to do!"

Cisco opens his mouth to talk. "What do you think her parents would do if she gets hurt! They would sue us!"

"I don't think you have to worry about that," Dawn says with a matter-of-factly tone. All eyes land on her. "I don't have parents. I live in foster care."

Wow. She really has a thing for catching people off guard. "I'm sorry but you have to understand. I am not a child. I am almost fifteen. Also, I could be a really big help to you guys. I'm one of the smartest people in the world."

Cisco snorts. "489 x 621"

Not even two seconds later Dawn comes up with the answer, "303,669." Wow. Even Caitlin looks impressed.

"Okay so you know math. What help is that?" Caitlin asks. Is she really doing this right now?

"You think math is all I know? Fine. Test me, Dr. Snow," Dawn challenges. Wait. How does she know Caitlin's name?

Caitlin doesn't seem to notice so she continues with her questions. "What is the difference between an ectoparasite and an endoparasit?" Cisco looks like he doesn't understand a thing she just said. Dawn on the other hand not only understands Caitlin's words, she also answers the question, "Ectoparasites are parasites that live on the exterior of a host. Endoparasites are parasites that live inside of the host. Now that I'm done proving that I am a genius can I please be on your team?"

We all look at each other, communicating with our eyes. Finally Cisco says, "Can you keep a secret?"

Dawn smiles and nods.

>>>><<<<

Harry had a fit when he found out about Dawn. Jesse on the other hand, well she was actually pretty excited. Technically Dawn is the closest one on the team to her age. "How old were you when you memorized the bones in the human body?" Dawn asks. A weird question in my opinion but Jesse seems to answer it as if she was asked what her name is.

"I was ten years old when I memorized the bones in the human body, but when I took my anatomy test in fourth grade I missed a question so technically I was eleven before I knew all of them perfectly." They laugh over the story as if it was some embarrassing prom story. Weird. Jesse continues, "How about you?" Dawn responds with an answer that floors everyone in the room.