Chapter 2

Morning comes, and my stomach barks for food. I clear out the kitchen looking for something to suppress my needs. Nothing. So on my way to work I pick up breakfast.

Once in my lab, I look through my files just to make sure the girl didn't take any thing. My fingers graze over the cream colored papers, filled with ink splotches. I get to Leonard Snark's file. I created his file based on CSI, but some of the details I put in as the Flash. This file is messy. That means someone has been in it. Was it the-

"Excuse me?"

I turn around. The girl. What is she doing back here? I stare at her trying to find the answer to my question in her face. This time I notice things about her that I didn't see last time. Her strawberry blonde hair framed her round face perfectly. Her eyes were swallowed by an ocean of sapphire and complemented her natural blush. But something about her eyes made me sharply inhale. Around her left eye was a small, faded black circle.

I don't know what my face looked like but whatever it said made the girl cower into herself. "Oh.. uh.. yes?" I say still studying her black eye.

I go to sit down in my chair as she says, "My name is Dawn. I was wondering how you became the Flash?"

This caught me totally off guard so I missed the chair and fell straight on my butt. I felt my face get hot and I expected this girl, Dawn, to laugh but she didn't. She just stood there, waiting for my answer. "Uhh... w-what? I-I'm not the Flash. Pff. W-what are you doing here?"

Her face goes blank, almost annoyed and she says, "I came here to learn how you became the Flash."

She seemed really sure of my secret and it scared me to death. This girl that I barely know, figured out my secret by saying about four words to me. She sees the fear and confusion written on my face and starts to explain herself.

"Yesterday when you giving the tour to my classmates I wandered off to look at the stuff you weren't showing us. I realized you had papers on your desk. They had a formula on them? It wasn't like anything I had ever seen before umm.. something to do with speed. Anyway I thought that was weird cause you know you work in a crime lab, not a race car shop. So I decided to look around a little bit more. The files. You had a file on some guy that the Flash defeated. Uhh.. who was it.. Captain Cold? Ya, so the file had details that only the Flash would know so I thought maybe you were working with the Flash. Until I knocked over that test tube. I knew if I knocked over something unimportant like water or coffee you wouldn't catch it. So I knocked over some sulfuric acid. And you caught it. Fast. So my thoughts went from you were working with the Flash to you are the Flash."

I took in everything she was saying. Wow. I need to be more careful. "You're smart," I say.

She smiles sheepishly, "Indeed."

"Where did you get that?" I point to her black eye. This time I catch her off guard. She staggers back and her face goes pale.

"Umm.. I-I should go," she says and starts making her way out the door. I grab her arm to stop her and she turns and goes stiff. I let go.

"I'm sorry. I'm not going to tell anyone if that's what you're worried about."

"I don't even know you," she says. "And you never answered my question. How did you become the Flash?"

Her tone turned cold. There was a blunt frost to her words as if she was trying to warn me. Should I tell her?

"I can't tell y-" I get cut off

"I don't care. Tell me."

Wow. This girl who I thought was shy and weak is just the opposite. I sigh. "The particle accelerator. I got struck by lightning the same night the particle accelerator exploded. Dark matter and chemicals from the fingerprint analysis mixed into my DNA," I say reluctantly.

I expected her to lose interest or be confused, but instead her blue eyes go wide and she says, "How are you not dead?"

I laugh and continue to explain. Why am I telling her this? "My cells regenerate faster than normal. That means I heal faster."

She looks at me and says in an annoyed tone, "I know what regenerate means."

This girl intrigues me. She's half my age yet she was as smart as any of my friends. Or me! But I know this is a dangerous life; I can't bring anyone into it, especially a child. But I did want to get to know her a little. There was just something about her.

"Now tell me," I say, "The black eye?" She looks nervously around the room.

"I don't usually talk about it."

"And I usually don't tell people that I'm the Flash."

"Fine. Just not here." She says and cowers into herself once again. I give her a confused look and then say, "We can go to Jitters. Oh wait. Are you old enough to drink coffee?"

"I'm almost fifteen," she says. "Not five." I laugh and start to head out of the lab.

>>>>><<<<<<

We walk into Jitters and the sweet smell of coffee and cream hits us like a wave. We order and sit.

I give her a look that says spill it. She sighs.

"Please don't tell anyone," she begs. I nod. Is it that bad?

"It's actually not a huge deal, just umm.. foster care, you know?" She looks so uncomfortable it hurts. She inhales and looks around the room frantically. I don't know what to say.

"Anyway," she changes the subject. "Do you have like a secret base or something?" I laugh at her sudden outburst. I can not believe that I am having this conversation. "That's classified," I say.

Now it's her turn to laugh. I continue the conversation, "So, Dawn, tell me about yourself." She looks surprised that I want to talk about her.

"There's not much to say. I mean I'm kinda boring." Her life was going to get a lot more interesting now, I say to myself.

"I live in Central City, I love science, I have no siblings, and I play no sports. See? Boring." I grin and she continues talking. "What about you? Tell me about yourself."

"Hmm.. I live in Central City," I say mockingly. "I love science, I have no siblings, and I definitely do not play sports."

She rolls her eyes but can't help her lips part into a smile. "We have a lot in common," she says sheepishly.

"More that you think," I reply. She gives me a confused look. "When I was eleven my mom was murdered. My dad was blamed; he was sent to prison. I grew up in foster care too. But I had a nice home."

"Home? Singular?" I nod. "Lucky, I have been in 17 foster homes in the last three years." She has a sudden troubled look on her face. "Why am I telling you this?"

"Because you trust me."

"Why? I never trust anyone."

"Maybe because I'm the Flash?"

"And so humble about it too."

I laugh again. My phone beeps. Cisco. "Sorry Dawn I gotta go um.."

"Be the Flash? I'm coming with you." What?! She must be out of her mind. But then again who wouldn't want to be a hero.

"No," I say. "If I get you into this mess your life is going to be in constant danger-"

"My life is already in constant danger!" She says.

"It doesn't matter. I'm not letting you come."

"Please. I don't want to go home," she begs. Her voice sounded heart broken. Ugh.

"Fine. But I'm not babysitting you."

"Got it."

We left the table, left the shop, and walked into the alley. Her look is hesitant. "Ready?"

"For what?"

I picked her up and run to STAR Labs in seconds.